iv. sorrow

THE DEATH OF A WAYWARD SOUL

↬•↫

in which will byers is found dead and a piece of caleb moore's soul dies with him

sorrow | holly, jolly

〖 his blood has frozen and curdled in fright, his knees have trembled and given way in the night 〗

his blood has frozen and curdled in fright, his knees have trembled and given way in the night

↬•↫

THE PARTY followed Eleven's directions for at least another hour and it was only when the sky began to darken that they realised they were walking down an all-too familiar road, the barren trees and crisp autumn leaves casting a moonlit shadow over the group of preteens.

"Why are we walking towards Will's house?" Dustin panted, interrupting Lucas' silent glaring and Caleb's blatant oblivity to his friend's anger. The longer they had walked, the more Lucas had spiralled into thoughts of Caleb's betrayal, and the more angry he became until all he felt when he looked at his friend was a burning betrayal.

"I don't know..." Mike trailed off warily, frowning when Eleven came to a halt outside the Byers' home. "El?"

"Here." Eleven said certainly, turning to them with an expectant stare.

"Yeah," Mike started cautiously, "this is where Will lives."

"Hiding." Eleven stated, looking to Caleb earnestly. "Here."

"No. No, this where he lives. He's missing from here. Understand?"

"What are we doing here?" Lucas asked, he and Dustin throwing their bikes down tiredly.

"She said he's hiding here!" Mike shouted weakly, shrugging to show that he didn't know what that meant either.

Caleb frowned, placing a hand on Eleven's elbow to catch her attention, much more gentle in his actions that his friends. "El, what do you mean 'hiding'?"

"Um... no!" Lucas protested, scoffing in disbelief while Dustin finally got his breathing under control to look at them angrily.

"I swear, if we walked all the way out here for nothing-"

"No, I'm sure there's a reason-"

"That's exactly what we did!" Lucas cut Caleb off, glaring at him coldly before turning his attention to Mike. "I told you she didn't know what the hell she was talking about!"

Miek sighed, turning to El with an irritated frown. "Why did you bring us here?"

Eleven stammered helplessly and Caleb pulled her under his arm, away from his friends' incredulous stares. "Guys, come on, she probably just got confused-"