iv. comfort crowd

THE TALE OF THE BROKEN BOY AND THE MONSTER

↬•↫

in which the truth comes out and caleb moore finally crumbles

comfort crowd | madmax

〖 the grass is dead and barren, and it hurts between my thighs on this side 〗

the grass is dead and barren, and it hurts between my thighs on this side

↬•↫

tw : sexual assault, brief mention of date r*pe drugging - and brief mention of eating disorder

-nothing depicted-

↬•↫

CALEB SPENT the better half of the following hour mulling over the documents burning a whole through his kitchen table before deciding that his cramped bungalow was the last place he wanted to be.

It took him less than twenty minutes to reach Maple Street this time, and he knocked on the familiar front door of the Wheeler house with a heavy weight on his shoulders. There was no answer for a few moments, and he rolled his eyes at his own forgetfulness as he reached into his messenger bag and produced the gold spare key Karen had given him for his birthday two months before.

For whenever you need it, she had said, so he endured no inner-quarrel about morals as he turned the key in the door and step into the large family home.

"Hello? Anyone here?" Caleb spoke into the emptiness, clicking the door shut behind him and taking a tentative step further into the decorated entrance hall.

"Caleb, is that you, hon?" Karen called out from the kitchen, and he wandered off in search of her with a relieved smile on his face. He found her fussing over a large pot of cooked ham, swatting a fly away hair from her eyes and looking at him over her shoulder with a warm smile. "What are you doing here, sweetheart?"

"Sorry," Caleb muttered awkwardly, shuffling over to the cluttered stove and glancing around for anything he could assist her with, "Mike said I could come over for dinner since my parents are out - I didn't know that he wouldn't be here."

"Oh, that's fine." Karen smiled, nodding towards the breakfast table in a silent order for him to take a seat. "You can just wait for him here, he should be back soon."

"Thanks," He breathed out, falling into the chair closest to the opening in the terracotta wall seperating the kitchen from the breakfast area so he could look at her while they talked, "Did he mention where he was going?"