xi. unsteady

THE FAMILY PORTRAIT

↬•↫

in which jacob ives decides to confront the people who have hurt him in the past, including his foster mother and levi pryor, which somehow leads to one of his worst mental breakdowns in months

unsteady | the case of the missing lifeguard

〖 mama, come here, approach, appear - daddy, i'm alone, 'cause this house don't feel like home 〗

mama, come here, approach, appear - daddy, i'm alone, 'cause this house don't feel like home

↬•↫

AFTER THE events at the public community pool, Jordan drove the younger Party members back to the Wheeler residence, where he ordered them to stay while he went to look for Billy.

El and Will had protested greatly, and he had to take them aside and spend an entire ten minutes talking to them in a voice used to coax toddlers out of temper tantrums before the pair reluctantly allowed him to go.

It had taken less than half an hour for everyone to pass out, not that they could really be blamed.

Will had fallen asleep in the armchair, and Lucas and Max were laying across the double seater with her feet thrown over his lap as she drooled into the couch cushion. El was snoring quietly with her head rested on her brother's shoulder as they sat upright against the couch, where they had passed out as he tried to comfort her about the danger they were facing and what they would have to do.

Jacob sighed, yawning quietly as he reached for a pillow and tossed it on the floor beside them, gently lowering his sister's head onto it and brushing her hair out of her sleeping face before starting to squint through the darkness of the room for a comforter or a blanket to cover her up with.

He spent a while kicking stuff around aimlessly in search of one and was just about to give up when someone cleared their throat behind him and he turned just in time to catch the woolen throw Mike had tossed to him from his makeshift bed on the floor by the basement stairs, refusing to meet his eyes.

Jacob stared at him for a moment, letting out an awkward cough as he draped the blanket over El and mindlessly placing a hand to the bump on the back of his head as he stood back to his full height. He felt a strange twinge in his shoulder, like a sharp knife digging into the bone, at the action and frowned but decided to brush it off when the feeling receded - his whole body had been aching since the sauna, especially his back after all the brick walls and tiled floors he got slammed into.

He found his messenger bag on the floor buried under a pile of laundry and rifled through it for his meds, or at least the ones that would make his head a little quieter.