x. painkillers

THE MANIPULATION METHOD

↬•↫

in which a sad boy slips up and lucas sinclair tries to convince caleb moore that the only family he has in the world is a manipulative traitor

painkillers | the monster

〖 very lovely morning, try not to kill yourself today 〗

very lovely morning, try not to kill yourself today

↬•↫

tw : self-harm and implied attempted suicide, racist prejudice

-not edited-

↬•↫

CALEB HAD been crying again.

That was the first thing Mike noticed when he came down the stairs that morning - the poofiness of his eyelids and the faint trembling of his shoulders as the boy held his head in his hands were more than enough evidence of that fact. But Mike had no idea as to why the boy would be crying until he lifted his head to look Mike in the eye and said in a coarse voice the words neither of them wanted to hear.

"She didn't come back." Caleb spoke barrenly, dropping his hands and looking up at his friend through red-rimmed eyes. "She's not here. I stayed up all night."

"But-"

"She's not fucking here, Mike." Caleb croaked, standing to his feet suddenly and shoving the D&D table away from him angrily, fists tightening in rage despite the rawness of his throat from screaming into his pillow the night before. "Stray fucking dog, just like Lucas said."

Mike remained silent, staring at the empty pillow fort with an unreadable expression.

"I have to take my meds." Caleb said quietly, shaking out his hands flexing his fingers as if that would get rid of the twitch in his right hand and the ticking of his eye. "My head's getting loud again."

"On the window in the bathroom." Mike muttered, sitting down on the basement steps with a small frown, still staring at the fort like the girl would magically reappear if he glared at it hard enough.

Caleb opened his mouth to say something, to offer some comfort, tell Mike that he wasn't the only one who was hurting. But then he realised that there was nothing he could possibly say to ease the boy's mind - because Lucas had been right. She had left, she had abandoned them. If she wasn't the traitor that he said she was, she would have came back and fought to repair the trust she had broken.