44. Roadtrip

Luke's POV

I woke up to find jake and Stacy walking into my room. I gave them a tired smile before trying to sit up a little and get comfy. Of course Jake looked on the verge of passing out as I moved, I know he's worried at the moment. I felt the same way when it was him in the bed and me on the chair.

This time it's made harder because of the brace now on my leg to help my knee recover, but j manage.
"So how was it?" I ask.
"It was quiet. A lot of people send you get well soon wishes." Stacy says sweetly as she sits down and gently holds my bandaged hand.
"Ummmm the police were outside, any reason why?" Jake says sounding concerned and it takes me a second until I remember.
"Oh  yeah, they ummmm came when you two were.... gone. They wanted to... see what I remembered." I can't quite get the words out easily because of my headache that's come back. It makes me quite tired but I have to try and stay awake. I can see they're both exhausted and I don't want them to have to stay up longer while I get my sleep.
"Do you remember what you told them?" Stacy says softly then puts her spare hand on the side I do t have my stitches and moves some of my hair back into it's place.
"I told them.... I heard glass break, we fought, I woke up injured in some sort of woods. And gave them my phone." I croak, my mouth is dry and I'm still sleepy from surgery.
"Why did you need to hand over your phone?" Jake asks.
"Because... it had all the threats and warnings from... our old director." I say. I watch both their eyes open wide in shock and I can feel my stomach turning.

Next thing I know I have Stacy hold a sick bowl with Jake rubbing my back and both of them are talking In low and calm voice and Jake slowly helps me back to lay down.

"You ok?" Stacy asks as she looks at me sadly.
"I'm fine. Just not feeling well." I mumble.
"It'll be because of his concussion and his surgery." Jake says as he remembers what the doctors told him.
"You should get some sleep baby." Stacy says and I look at her and my brother.
"No, I don't wanna sleep while you too are tired and sleeping in uncomfortable chairs." I say sadly.
"Luke it's fine. We just want you to be ok." Jake says.
"No. You two go home and get some sleep. I'll be fine." They think about it and I have to persuade them a little before they eventually gave in.
"Fine but I'll leave my phone here so if you need us text or call Stacy and we'll come back. Ok?" Jake says.
"Okay. Now go get some sleep." I say as they both slowly shuffle out.

I stayed in the hospital for 3 more days till I was allowed to leave. My dad drove over and he helped me to get in the car whilst jake packed me a bag.

"So how are you boys feeling after everything." Dad asks and me and Jake both hesitate.
"Ummmm a little shaken?" Jake nervously laughs and I nod in agreement.
"That's understandable. You boys have been through a lot." Dad says.

I don't talk much the whole way home. I'm just not really feeling chatty at the moment. Which dad and jake both understood and let me be. So I just looked out the window thinking for most of it.

I couldn't stop thinking about Lucy. Was she gonna hate me? Was she gonna act awkward around me? Was this the last thing she wanted? She left to get away from us and now we're going back to her. I start to feel sick at the idea of being home. And we still had 3 hours to go. As the journey went on my fears only got worse and my uneasy stomach only got worse. It was also exhausting so when we finally pulled up I was exhausted.

"Not much longer Luke just gotta get you to your room and you can have a good sleep and rest." My dad says, picking up on my exhaustion. "The house is empty so we shouldn't have any disruptions." He says as he helps me out the car and onto my crutches. I'm used to crutches because of my knee injury that I got when I was a teen and I played lots of aggressive sports so always had some sort of injury. I relax a little bit knowing the house is empty and so I manage to get to my room quite easily. Once I got to my room my dad came in to help and just helped to make it more comfortable.
"Are you sure there's nothing else I can do?" He's always been a protector, I sort of picked that up from him.
"Dad I'm fine. I'll probably just sleep for the afternoon." I say tiredly and he gives me a small smile.
"Ok. I'll leave you be. Call if you need me for anything." He says as he reaches the door and hesitates.
" I will." I yawn and then he leaves and my eyes fall shut.