14. Back to school

Lucy's POV
"NOOOOOOOOOO!" I yelled running around the kitchen isle with Jake chasing me not far behind.
"Lucy you have to go." He said trying to be a serious as possible but still kinda finding this funny. I stopped opposite him so we were facing each other.
"Why? Why do I have to go?" A small laugh escaped Jakes lips and I smiled. Then he started chasing me again and I ran off just in time. But when I reached the bottom of the stairs he caught me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and I screamed whilst laughing as he lifted me off the ground and started spinning me around.
"I'm taking you to school, whether you like it or not." He said walking towards the door.

He carried me out to his car and buckled me into the middle backseat. I laughed as his hands tickled me as he searched for the seatbelt. Then Ryan walked out with my bag in his hand and sat in the passenger seat with it on his lap.
Then Jake walked over to the drivers seat and buckled himself in.
"It's like having a five year old in the car." Jake said to Ryan and we both laughed.
"Oh but isn't she just adorable." Ryan said all gooey like and I laughed whilst pulling my best five year old face. We all laughed as Jake started to pull off the front yard. I looked out the window as we drove off and saw Luke in the doorway. How long has he been there for? Had he been that ashamed he didn't even want to come over? If I'm honest I'm surprised he even remembered. I'd overheard Jake this morning talking about how busy and stressed out Luke had been lately. Apparently Luke hadn't been doing too well at work and was continuously being yelled at and being made to work extra hours to make up for it on set so that the filming didn't fall behind.

I hadn't noticed till now just how tired and worn out he looked. He looked paler and.... was he thinner? The dark rings under his eyes and sick appearance made me feel sick. No wonder Luke had lost his temper, I mean don't get me wrong I still don't feel comfortable around him, but it made sense. I mean he clearly wasn't looking after himself. I needed to make sure he was at least alright. Even if he's not at the top of my list of people I want to talk to right now.

Jake and Ryan both dropped me off round the corner of the school as Jake didn't want to risk being recognised and ruining any chance I had at a normal school life again. They both acted like proud parents and we both really over the top which made me laugh and took my mind of how nervous I'd been.

As soon as I walked through the doors I was lost. I managed to find reception but that was about it. I signed in there and got everything sorted and they even got somebody to guide me and show me around. Thankfully they were nice and looked after me. They were in all of my classes and introduced me to their rather large friendship group. They were all equally nice and there was definitely a large range of different personalities which I liked. I spent the rest of the day with them and tried my best to remember names but the best I got was Mia who was my guide and June who was also in all of my classes.

I told Jake I'd walk home as when we drove we realised that the school actually wasn't as far as we'd thought and so we ended up having to sit in the car for a while so as Jake put it "so as not to look too eager to be at school. You should be seen as the usual teen who hates every bit of school except for that one class that changes everything and somehow turns you from a misfit into a teacher. Cause let's face it that's how all these teachers seem to get into the job." But the main reason I'd wanted to walk home was because I wanted to check in on Luke. I'd heard Jake day he had a day off today so this was probably the best I was going to get.

I walked up to his door and suddenly felt sick with dread and nerves. I stood there trying to calm myself a bit before I finally found the courage to knock. I stood back from the door and crossed my arms before Luke appeared at the door. He looked surprised to see me there but had tried his best to hide it.
"Hey... I didn't think it would be you at the door." He tires to joke but he's clearly exhausted.
"I only came to make sure you were alright." I say trying my best to keep my voice neutral.
"Why wouldn't I be alright?" He shrugs trying to act like as casual as possible.
"Because I overheard about you at work. Then this morning... and now." I say gesturing to his entire body. He is thinner, much thinner. It's almost scary.
"I'm fine." He lies. I sigh regretting even trying at this point. He's never going to tell me the truth at this rate.
"I knew you wouldn't tell me the truth." I say bitterly. I look him in the eye, I'm almost in tears and I'm scared that he can tell. "You never do anymore." I wanted to hurt him and from the look on his face I did just that. I know Luke. He honours honestly and he also honours trust so by using them both too my advantage I can hit him where it hurts most.

He doesn't even try to defend himself so I just back away and start walking over to Jakes. I don't hear his front door shut so I know he's watching. Another attempt to hurt him. I call Jake and he immediately appears at the door. I run excitedly into his open arms and he hugs me and lifts me up and spins us around. I laugh before handing my bag over to Jake who takes it willingly. Then just as we walk in I turn back around and look at Luke. He's still stood there. And I can tell that maybe I went just a bit too far as he looks like he's on the the verge of passing out. But I watch as he slowly walks back into his house and shuts the door.

I then spend the entire evening with Jake and the others and over dinner I tell them all the funny stories of my day and occasionally I get Jake and Ryan to help reenact the comedic moments which they both do perfectly.

Luke's POV
So now not only does my sister hate me but she wants nothing to do with me anymore. It's bad enough that my boss is continuously yelling at me and Jake is always busy with Lucy now and now Lucy is starting to loose interest in me.

The whole day I've just been sat staring into space, not really knowing what to do. I hadn't  even realised that I haven't been taking very good care of myself till Lucy came over. But what did she mean she'd overheard all of it. From who? The only person who really knew was... Jake. Brilliant. Now my two younger siblings are gossiping about me behind my back and practically shutting me out.

I've had enough of today and just go straight up to bed. I have some big stunt on tomorrow that I have to be ready for otherwise it could go horribly wrong.

*Glimpse of the next day*
********* POV

The whole set went quite. All that could be heard was his scream. Then the ambulance siren. The crew was all in a panic.
"I told you he wasn't ready for the stunt!" Is all the director is yelling.

Lucy comes running down to me in a panic and practically collapses in my arms. Tears streaming down her face. I feel awful.

This shouldn't have happened. I should have stopped him.

To be continued....