35. The crash

Luke's POV

I don't remember much after. I remember yelling at Jake but I don't remember the words. I was so angry. Then the phone rang and my heart sank. I couldn't breathe. Everything was spinning and I hit the floor. I remember Jake calling my name and trying to shake me out of it. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't move. There was so many thoughts in my head. Nothing mattered anymore. I needed to get to my car but I couldn't stand.

I still don't know how but we got to the emergency waiting room. I replay everything in my head.

Where did I go wrong? How could I let this happen? This is my fault? My poor baby sister? What am I gonna tell our parents? What's gonna happen?

Please..... I can't loose the one light in my life. I can't loose my little lulu. Not her. Not like this. She has so much more.... so much more to live for. She hasn't even had a fair chance. I should of done more. It should of been me.

Stacy grips my hand and I look at her.
"When did you..." I start sadly but I can barely talk.
"I just got here. Jake told me everything." I can hear the sadness in her voice. Lucy's like a sister to her.

It's been a few minutes but it feels like hours. The hours feel like days and the whole time my thoughts and fears get worse.

Lucy's POV.

I want my bothers.

That was my first thought when I woke up in the car before the crash.

I need my brothers.

Was my first thought after I woke up after the crash and then blacked out.

"I want to see my brothers."

Was the first thing I said when I woke up. Everything hurt so much and I felt like crying but I didn't want to in-front Of the nurses or the doctor's.

"I'll go get them." One of the nurses says before leaving the room. I'm trying not to close my eyes. I'm so tired but so scared. A few minutes later Luke walks in. His eyes are red and his face is pale and fragile. I've known my brother to always be strong. To see him like this only makes me want to cry more. Then Jake rushes in. They both sit down beside me.

"Hey Lu." Luke says sadly but forces a smile as he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.
"What happened?" I ask. My voice shakes as I try and hold back the tears.
"You and Alex were in a car accident. He's fine but you got the worst of it." Jake says sadly. Then sighs. "Lucy I'm so sorry. If I'd been there for you and told you the truth you never would've left or this never would've happened." I can tell he's close to tears.
"No it's mine I shouldn't of run off." I say sadly as a tear rolls down my cheek.
"No. Neither of you are to blame. I knew the truth about Jake and kept it from you and I never should of let you leave. I'm the older brother of you both." I grab Luke's hand as I can tell he's upset.
"Don't blame yourself Luke." Jake says.

"So.... how bad is it?" I ask nervously. I don't want to look.
"Pretty bad." Luke says sadly. I see Jake frowning then I realise he's reading the chart the doctors gave him before they all left.
"Jake?" I'm nearly in tears as he sighs.
"You have.... a concussion, a broken right arm... 3 broken.. ribs and.... and 2.... broken.... legs." Now Jake cries and I cry.
"Are you two trying to make me ball my eyes out again." Luke laughs trying to hold back his tears. It lightens the mood a little bit though.

"What time is it?" I say tiredly. The blinds are closed in my room and I don't have a clue how long I've been asleep.
"Uhhhh it's... coming up to 6am." Luke yawns.
"Have you both been here all night." I ask.
"Of course we have. You the only person that matters right now." Jake says.
"Luke?" He immediately sits up and looks worried.
"Yeah what's up?" He asks stroking his thumb over the back of my hand.
"I'm kinda hungry." I say sadly.
"I'll go get you something to eat then. I won't be long." He kisses my hand before he gets up and leaves me and Jake alone.

"So what happened to Luke?" I ask Jake.
"He fell to the floor. Had a panic attack or something like that. " he says, as if the memory alone is too tough. "How could you tell?" He asks quickly.
"He's wearing a tank top and he has a big bruise on his shoulder." I say bluntly.
"Yep that's Luke, terrible at hiding stuff." We both laugh gently as Luke re enters the room. He has food from the vending machines.
"Is this ok?" He ask showing me the candy bars. "I remember when J was in hospital he didn't really have a big appetite so I'd get in before he woke up and, leave a candy bar for him to wake up to then I'd leave. Didn't want to overstay my welcome." It's so sweet how he remembers and I can tell Jake feels the same.
"That was you? That's so.... thoughtful." Jake says.
"Yeah well. If you went hungry I'd get the blame being the older brother." We all laugh slightly. 

"Why don't you try and get some sleep Lu. Promise I won't leave." Luke says.
"Neither will I." Jake says which kinda shocks both me and Luke.
"I guess I could try." I yawn. They both smile at me and I soon fall asleep.

Jakes POV

"So. How come you can suddenly stay?" Luke says quietly as Lucy sleeps. He's not judgemental. If anything he's more curious.
"Me and Astrid are over." I sigh and he looks sad which is strange considering he didn't like her.
"But you two were-" I cut him off.
"Were having a kid? Yeah that's what I thought." I huff.
"You thought?" I can tell he's confused.
"She lied to me. There was never a baby. It was just to get me away from you and Lucy." I sigh.
"I'm sorry J. I should of been more supportive. But I'm here for you now." He says and I'm great full.
"So is it ok if I come live with you and Lucy for a while." I say and he gives me his big brotherly smile.
"You can stay with us as long as you want." He says and we stand up and hug it out. I'm relieved I no longer have to fight with my brother.

We sat and talked for a bit but then we both fell asleep in the chairs we'd been sat in.

Lucy's POV

I woke up startled and scared but I saw my brothers both asleep and didn't have the heart to wake either of them. Though it calmed me to see them finally getting along again.

There was a light knock on my door and Stacy walked in holding two coffees.
"Hey trouble. How you feeling?" She whispered after noticing the sleepy boys.
"A little rough." I give a weak smile.
"Bless." She smiles weakly. "Oh I got you a coffee if you wanted one." She says.
"Yeah actually." She hands me the drink and we just sat and talked till the boys woke up again. We all sat and talked the rest of the day but were occasionally interrupted by doctors and nurses. They all then had to leave for and hour so some checks could be done and so they could change and get cleaned up.

I woke up later to find Luke in the room on his phone texting. And Jake walked in a little later. I was starting to feel the pain of the crash and just didn't feel like moving or talking. I'd never been injured badly. Nothing more then a scrape or some stitches. I still had looked at my injuries other then when the nurses gave me a mirror to check I was alright with the stitches at the top of my head. My face was bruised and covered in small cuts, probably from the glass. I didn't let anyone other then Jake, Luke and Stacy come and see me. I'd sometimes have a call with June and Mia but I mainly stayed away from my phone. I want ready to talk to Alex yet. He'd bring back too many memories.

I ended up having to spend 2 weeks in hospital. I was still in a lot of pain and still wasn't talking much. But I felt bad. Luke had stayed the most a d was practically living off of coffee from the machines.