18. Unexpected guest

Lucy's POV

"I'll get it!" I yell as I jump over the back of the sofa where me and Luke had both been sitting since we woke up.
"Owww." Luke yells jokingly and I laugh. I run over to the door and excitedly throw open the door. Then as soon as I see who it is I panic and scream before I slam the door shut and stand their in shock whilst on the verge of laughing.
"Lucy what the hell?" Luke laughs as he walks over to the door and opens it. He has the exact same reaction as me and slams the door shut. We both look at each other like were on the verge of laughing but knowing we're gonna be in big trouble.

Then Jake appears from around the corner and its clear that our screaming must have woke him up as he's only got a pair of tracksuit bottoms on.
"What's all the screaming about?" He yawns sound ever so slightly annoyed. Then there's a knock on the door and me and Luke both scream. "It's too early for this." Jake yawns as he walks over to the sofa and lays down. Then suddenly we hear the door open and both me and Luke scream in shock and I jumped straight into Lukes arms, which thankfully he caught me quickly.
"Honestly, I thought I'd raised my kids to be polite when greeting people at the door." Our mum complains. Neither me or Luke turn around but we look at Jakes reaction and he couldn't look more pale. "Well?" Our mum huffs and me and Luke slowly start to turn around as I hop down from Lukes arms.
"Sorry about that mum we thought-" I'm cut off from Luke who's nervously fidgeting.
"That you were the mailman." I laugh at Lukes excuse and my mums unimpressed expression.
"Whats so scary about the mailman?" Our mum asks.
"Oh you know, he's always giving me... bills to pay." This time we all burst out laughing. Then suddenly she looks at me with a confused look.
"Lucy I thought you were staying with Jake this months." I look at Luke who looks just as panicked as me.
"Well ummm about that...." I stumble I don't know what to say. She doesn't know what happened to Jake.
"Well she is... sorta..." Luke try's to help but it's clear he's just as lost.

Then she looks behind me and Luke and sees Jake and gasps.
"Jake what happened?" She yells as she walks over to him and kisses him gently on the head. Me and Luke follow and she turns to Luke. "Luke I thought I told you to look out for your siblings!" I see the hurt look on his face but it soon turns to anger.
"Why does everyone blame this on me? Do I really have I did this written across my forehead or something?!" He yells before he storms of to go sulk in the kitchen.
"It wasn't his fault mum. I did this." Jake says and her face drops.
"Why?" She says.
"Because otherwise it would have been Luke."
"So if it had supposed to be you what your sister would've stepped in. Is that really the example your setting for her?" I get it my mums trying to be protective but I don't think she's really hearing herself.
"Mum it's fine." I say. She looks at me with calm eyes and sighs.
"I'm sorry." She says to Jake.
"It's not me you should be saying sorry to." He says looking towards the kitchen where Luke stormed off to.
"I'll go apologise." She goes to walk to the kitchen but I pull her back. I know Luke he's not gonna be too happy with her and is most likely going to lash out at her. It's best to give him some time to cool down.
"Just give him some time. Look come with me and we can catch up like we used to." She smiles at me and nods.

I take us both up to my room and close the door. I sit on my bed facing her and we start talking. I explain what happened with Jake and how Luke's boss has been aggressive with him but I leave out the fact that I ran away from Jake and that Luke's boss came over and they had a fight in front of me and how he's wanted to go for me but Luke had protected me.
"So sounds like you have quite the time here." She says.
"Yeah. It's been.... complicated but things are finally starting to settle a bit." I shrug. We carry on talking till we're interrupted by the sound of Luke's bedroom door slamming shut.
"I'm just gonna go check on him." I say and my mum just nods at me. I leave her sitting on my bed and open the door and walk down to Luke's room. The doors shut and I can see that the lights off but I know he's in there.