23. Tryouts

Lucy's POV

I overslept and had to run out the door in order to make it to school on time or to be more realistic not quite as late as I'd be if id walked. I didn't even have time to wake Luke or Jake up to say goodbye or even to quickly scribble a note to say goodbye. Though running was definitely a bad idea because when I got to school I had a massive stomach cramp and was completely out of breath which of course Mia and June found hilarious in our first lesson which I was still 15 minutes late to.

"Don't you live like 15 minutes away though." June teases.

"Yeah!" I say still trying to catch my breath.

"I thought you were an athlete and stuff though." Mia laughs.

"I am... well I used to be. I guess after the move I haven't been doing my basketball or running or... anything really." I say sounding a little lost after realising how much I've neglected my sports.

"Well that reminds me Basketball tryouts are today after school, you should tryout."June says excitedly and I perk up a little.

"Thats a great idea. We'll come with you and tryout as well it'll be a right laugh."Mia jokes and we all laugh.

"Thats actually not a bad idea." I say starting to almost feel excited. Id missed basketball so much but it just wasn't the same only playing by myself or by my brother. I mean don't get me wrong I love my brothers and all but its just not the same as the rush I get from playing with an actual team in an actual game.

"See I'm not all just good looks." June says in a joking way and me and Mia both laugh.

"Ummm June." I say.

"Yes peasant." she says smugly and I laugh.

"Your leaning back into someone else's experiment." I laugh.

"Oh gosh I'm so sorry." she says turning around and apologising to the person behind her. Then as soon as she sees who it is her face goes bright red with embarrassment.

"Its fine June." Alex says with a smile. I may not have been at this school for long but its clear that every girl is head over heels in love with Alex but if Im honest I don't see it. I mean is he cute, yes. is he kind, yes. But do I care whether or not he notices me, no not really. "Hey Lucy." he says suddenly looking at me.

"Hey Alex." I say returning his smile and casual tone before turning back to Mia and June.

"What the hell was that?" Mia whisper shouts at me and I laugh.

"He was just being friendly. May I remind you I'm still new here." I say brushing off her excitement.

"Sureeeee he was." June says and nudges me slightly.

"Oh would you two stop over analysing this and actually get on with the work so we don't fail this class and so my brothers don't tell me off." I say turning my attention back to my book.

"Couple names. Lux." June starts.

"Alcy." Mia chirps.

"Good grief." I mumble to myself.

"Lex?" Mia says.

"Luex. sounds foreign." June laughs. this carried on for the rest if the lesson.

Then at Lunch we met up with Katy and Denise, and of course as soon as we reach them they tell them all about the 'me and Alex' thing that isn't even real. Though of course the others disagreed with me and the fantasying started all over again.

Then finally its the end of the day and tryouts for the team are starting. I start to make my way over to the gym with Mia and June when out of the corner of my eye I see someone.