9. The swap

Lukes POV

After seeing how Lucy was last night I'm dreading seeing her leave. I know I'm too busy to keep her here full time but it was actually quite nice coming home for once and knowing she'd be there waiting. I called Jake early in the morning after I'd left Lucys room and filled him in on everything that had happened. Just saying it all out loud made my heart ache and tears start to form. I'd never meant to hurt her. But I never thought I was. My whole life I've watched my sister hold her head high and show the strength and courage. She was the strongest person I knew. But the way I watched her break and fall apart was possibly the worst feeling in the world. The girl I thought would never break had finally shattered and fallen apart. And all because of me. I had to make it up to her. She might not always be under my roof but that didn't mean I couldn't still be part of her life.

However I'm not sure how things are gonna go down with Jake and her. Jake is definitely a lot more easy going but like me he has his limits and when you push them he erupts like a volcano of rage. I'm nervous to send Lucy to him because of this. I'm also nervous that maybe she might become closer with Jake because although we work the same hours his schedule is different to mine meaning he'll have more of a chance to be there with her. All I know is I can't loose her again.

Jakes POV

When Luke called me in the morning and explained what had happened it felt as if my whole world had been flipped upside down. I couldn't even remember the last time I'd seen her cry. I mean I may have heard her crying silently through the thin walls we shared but none of them seemed to even come close to what I was hearing now. I knew as soon as I put the phone down I was going to have to be there for Lucy which is exactly why I picked up phone up straight away and called in 'sick' and said I'd probably be off for the rest of the week.

I got everything ready quickly before the door bell went and it was Luke with Lucy looking down at the ground next to him. He looked disappointed as he looked down and it was like watching a father hand over his child to someone forever. I opened up the door wider and let Lucy in and turned to Luke and gave him a reassuring nod of hope. I then closed the door and joined Lucy on the sofa. She sighed and I pulled her closer to me and she buried her face into my shoulder and relaxed. We stayed like this for a while neither one of us said anything we just enjoyed the company of each other for a while.