3. The game

Luke's POV

Its been a week since Lucy got in that fight, but its still been really awkward between us. We haven't really spoken since then and we haven't really spent much time together either. I only ever see her at dinner then she's either in her room or she's outside avoiding us.

Today I woke up and Lucy had already gone to school and we all had to start getting ready because today Lucy has a big basketball game that starts in an hour. I walked into Jakes room and found him still fast asleep. I laughed silently to myself and I pulled the cover off the bed, but even then he was still fast asleep. How dose this kid not wake up? I thought to myself. Then I got an idea. I rushed to the bathroom and filled a jug with freezing cold water and rushed back to Jakes room. He was still fast asleep so I threw the jug of water over him and he screamed as he woke up.

I burst out laughing and had to lean on the door to stop myself from falling onto the floor.
" What the hell Luke!" He yelled wiping the water from his eyes.
" You gotta wake up some time." I said. I got up and walked out laughing. I went back to my room and got changed before going down stairs to get some breakfast.
" Hey mum." I said walking to the fridge to get some juice. " What you doing?" I asked sitting down next to her at the kitchen table.
" Ugh its just... it's nothing sweetheart don't worry about it." She put her hand on my cheek and gave me a weak smile.
" Seriously mum. Whats going on?" As I said this she let out a long sigh and I could tell this was serious. "Mum?" I got up and pulled her into a hug. I could see tears forming in her eyes.

She handed me a letter and I could feel the tears building in my eyes as I read it.
" What dose this mean?" I asked.
" I cant keep taking care of Lucy. Not right now. With everything going on..... she's going to be furious with me." She sat back down in her chair and looked deep in thought.
" She's not going to hate you. She might be a little upset but theres got to be a way we can handle this." I said. Then she looked at me as if she had an idea.
" That's it. What if she goes with you and Jake to LA. You can take care of her and maybe you can fix things between you." I saw the hope in her eyes and I couldn't bare to tell her that I'd be too busy to look after Lucy. I sighed and agreed not having the heart to break my mothers.

Then we quickly told Jake what was happening and then we made our way to Lucy's basketball game. By the time we got there it had already started. We all took our seats and searched for Lucy. Then when we found her we watched her the entire time. It was amazing how much she had changed. She never used to be a big fan of basketball and now she's one of the best players on the team. She never misses the basket and everyone is cheering her and the team on and I cant help but feel proud.

Lucy's POV

I couldn't believe that they were late. The game had already started and we were 15 minuets in by the time they arrived. But when they sat down I refused to look at them; I had to keep my head in the game. I made sure to be quick and to get the ball in the basket every time. This was the first ever game that my brothers had ever seen me in so I was doing everything I could to show them what they missed.

Unfortunately Leah was on my team and so far we hadn't been getting along at all. We never passed each other the ball and she would always miss the net. There was 20 minuets left in the game and the scores were close together but we were still losing. I got the ball and passed it to someone else on the team when Leah shoved me down to the ground. The whistle was blown and the game was paused. I got up and looked Leah in the eye. But before either one of us could say anything we were both separated.

The game started again and I managed to score the winning basket. Leah had been taken out of the game and I couldn't help but feel slightly pleased. Then as the game finished I grabbed my stuff and made my way out the school.