Chapter 28

CHAPTER 28

RUBY'S POV:

As I finally arrived home, my sorrowful separation from James kept playing in my mind.

"I don't know when next I'll see you but it can't hurt to ask you to wait for me" he'd said looking down at me lovingly.

"You know I could wait another 10 years" I said and what I wanted to sound as a joke became the elephant in the room.

"I won't say bye, not even goodbye because I don't want to let go, ok. So see you soon"

Of course, he would take away my breath for this parting too. So I said the only thing that kept sounding in my head. "Always and forever" and we both smiled as I got into my Uber.

Slowly walking into my apartment, I thought of calling my parents and I prepared for them to freak. It's not every time you get the shock of seeing your daughter in a completely different hair colour and what looked like tattoos all over her. I'd count myself extremely lucky if my mother let me explain myself before she went all holy water on me.

I figured I needed the comedy relief in my life so I went straight to my room, switching on my phone and getting alerted of the new appointments my manager had set up with some make up companies like Zaron. That didn't really matter to me now. I immediately video called

"Jesus Christ!" my mother exclaimed, covering her mouth with her hand.

"Hi, mum" I said laughing and scratching my now frizzy hair. One of the much deprecation of the numerous times James had offer a cold bath and not let me wear a shower cap. The things we girls do for romance.

"Frank, come and see your daughter o" my mother shouted as my father came to the phone. She had already begun saying her rosary.

"The father, son and holy spirit" she chanted over and over.

"Before mummy brings out her holy water, I just called to tell you I'm back from work" I said not wanting to indulge long enough for my mother to make her move.

"How was it?" my father asked, momentarily looking away from the screen and smiling fondly.

"It was good, really great. I met an old friend" I said but I'm pretty sure my smile gave it away that whoever it was, was more than a friend.

"I won't ask about this friend till you introduce him. I have one question though"

"Shoot"

"That dye is removable right" he said gesturing to my hair by rubbing at his bald head.

"I wouldn't use it if it wasn't" truly I wasn't really one for that much changes, much more a permanent one at that.

"Well I need to get to the saloon before my next appointment" I said and as I was about to drop the call, my mother surfaced with her small bucket of imported water.

"Mother Mary, help my daughter" my mother cried out almost pouring her whole bucket on the phone which my father immediately snatched away from her.

"Mum, I went undercover again so I had to change my look a bit. The dye is removable, the henna tats wash off and the piercing isn't real, they're clip on" I shouted before my dad dropped the call, obviously running for his dear life.

You would think my mother is backwards till you see her on twitter basically roasting people or on Tik Tok vibing to the latest hits. Don't get me started on the fact that my mother was verified on Instagram way before I thought of applying for verification. She was a well known philanthropist so it was expected but her twitter was on another level. You'd expect her to be dropping invitations to the next charity she was holding but you'd be seeing her dropping crazy content and everything would make you just want to find out what next she would say.