Chapter 21

RUBY'S POV:

The meal for the night was a simple rice and beef stew for the crew. I'd heard around that James was on board but I hardly believe it. I was on my way to the kitchen which adjoined to the dining room. Just then, I heard Kevin call my name and I looked over the balcony but my eye instead caught a different thing. A certain guy that stood out in his all black suit and a nice patterned shirt. Almost every guy that came on board were on suits and all looking businesslike but what more would you expect from the best gang in Nigeria.

Don't get my wrong I despise all the types, be it gangs, cults or whatever they choose to go by but I especially hate the cults. Like if I wanted to be in a brotherhood or sisterhood, I'd pull up at a friends house or have a get together and just lay it out flat and then we'd have crazy handshakes and swear to be by each others side, why in earth would I need to pass an initiation.

Over in places like Nevada, all you had to do was get a tattoo or smash some girl or something but initiations in Nigeria is really something else. Getting caned and having to drink some concoctions that'd probably give you diarrhoea. To top it off, many don't even survive the initiation and then other people's tasks become to get rid of the dead bodies. That's more gruesome than skinning a person alive, OK nothing is more gruesome than that.

Don't even get me started on the war that breaks out when a person decides to leave the cult. Basically most of them consider themselves dead. The fight is a hard one and you'll need more than just the determination to survive it.

As I got was walking into the kitchen at the top of the dining area, I heard a wolf whistle followed by someone yelling my name.

"Jade, you got a lot more than I remember", A guy that I quickly remembered as Tony said, smiling devilishly.

Ah, Tony Adudu, Jade Freeman's ex boyfriend. He was about to put a ring on her finger but of course she had to bounce. Mainly because she'd spent like 6 months on the Island when he decided he'd snag the prize before she gave other guys any bit of attention. Like every other girl who would have thought they'd spent so little time together or that they just don't see a marriage in the near future or even distant future, she ran away.

Now though, they were forced to work together, seeing as she got the gig and she kinda knew he'd be here, she kind of half begged me to save her from the awkwardness because she couldn't take his halfassed ways of getting her back. Shed had it up to her neck.

I began to wonder what would have happened if she had been the one here. Would they have gotten back together? Would they still be walking on eggs around each other or would it be something on the lines of how I was about to react?

"Always the funny one", I said trying to give off what was a hearty laugh.

" We'll meet up later right?", he said suggestively.

Knowing a desperate guy when you see one, you have to play your cards right. Jade showed some form of disdain when with him so I had to be just as abrasive but then I couldn't be too harsh and let other men laugh at him. I guess the real me still wanted to slip in some kindness because I just laughed.

"You'll definitely see me around", I said trying to cut the talk short as I had work to do. As I lifted my head up to turn and walk away, my eyes caught the person who could only be James. He blended in so well and the men passing him greeted him by tilting their heads.

My legs lost all will to move as he held my eyes. I felt like he already knew my secret because for some reason it felt like he was searching my soul. I didn't want to stand for long as he could detect that something was up. I greeted him with a nod which he reciprocated. I walked into the kitchen and slammed the door as I began to inhale and exhale.