Chapter 20

JAMES' POV:

They always say actions speak louder than words and that had become very evident in the life I have become accustomed to over the years. Those words left my mouth more times than I could count.

I've gotten used to my life becoming a form of entertainment to the people that knew me, both directly and indirectly. What more would you expect from a star, verified on social medias and considered an influential person in the society. The things I'd rather do gave way to publicity stunts, all I did was planned by my manager, to keep me relevant, to keep the audience wanting more but not knowing enough to destroy the confidentiality of my life.

I was a puppet in my father's hand. Everything I did was planned years before I did it. I'd rather have studied aeronautical engineering but here I am with a degree in theatre arts and my face on the front line of entertainment news for my appearances at different ceremonies. I'd rather have been with Ruby but here I am 10 years later trying to get the thought of being worthy of that girl.

Most nights, I reminiscence on my promise to her. I said I'd make myself worthy of her. I said nothing would come in between us when we meet again. But look at me now, acting movies and trying to stay relevant on the entertainment industry to blot out the fact that I'm the acting leader of The Lock, the one thing I said I wouldn't be.

After Ruby left, everything changed. The one person that gave me strength left me mid battle. As selfish as my heart wanted to be and go as far as hating her, it had to be done. To save that pure, beautiful soul that is Ruby but why didn't I leave with her. Now here I am, scarred and hoping that she'll find it in herself to accept me. Someone that takes pills to sleep a dreamless sleep. Someone that can't open up to anyone. I play the roles of princes and people who call the shots in series and blockbuster movies but in reality I'm the pawn, the puppet. I call no shots and there's nothing I can do about it.

After she left, I tried to fight. I left Calabar, thinking I could go to a remote place but somewhere between driving towards the sunrise and spending the night in the car I borrowed from a friend, I found myself in Port Harcourt. Trying to keep a low profile didn't work.

"If you don't get back here in a day, you won't have a mother to tale care of", My father's voice boomed through my phone.

" You can't do that. She's your wife", I stuttered out, another voice already telling me he could.

"What ? You thought you could move to GreenLand Estate without me knowing. Rookie move when you moved all the money in the account I opened for you to another. You thought I wouldn't see your transactions when you bought an apartment from a friend of mine. I'm a freaking drug lord and you think I won't have people everywhere. I own you, son. Don't forget that"

He probably expected a reply but all I could manage then were strong breaths to keep me from going into shock. I SPENT A NIGHT IN A CRAMPED PICANTO FOR HIM TO FIND ME ONLY TWO DAYS AFTER. Something told me he already knew where I was and wanted me to go through all this.

"I'll see you at home in some hours. Use your GPS and find the faster route because I don't want to call you again"

That was the last time I attempted to run away. He owned me, he'd said and I believed it. I was able to save my mother's life but not Pearl's. A lot of things had scarred me and I couldn't bear the marks proudly because the people out there wouldn't understand me. I couldn't save my only sister.

"Pearl, you don't know Jason. You shouldn't leave with him", I begged her.

"Give me a reason other than that crap. You're going to tell me he doesn't have the funds. News Flash, I'm f*****g rich for my age. Thanks to dad, I can live large", she said, batting her fake eyelashes as she applied red lipstick, giving me a glare I've never known through her mirror.