Chapter 31

CHAPTER 31

JAMES' POV:

What name would he go by? Where could he be now? Could he be married? Is he really alive? I need to know.

I hadn't been able to conduct a thorough check on the news that my father had brought home years ago. It still haunts me to this day, how I had lost my elder brother.

"I'll see you later bro" Jack had said.

We laughed a lot so it was no surprise when at such a tense moment, we burst out laughing while my father had stood stoic having trained himself to not partake in our joy. I couldn't wait for the day they'd announce his death and come into this house bearing his corpse. It would be a Christmas in July.

"Let's go" my father had said harshly.

I had on a trouser that had many pockets, my favorite pair. I had always joked about using them to rob a store someday. It had been a gift that I'd refused to part with. I felt his hand drop something in my pocket when he drew me in for a hug. Pulling away, he sent me a look that told me something wrong was about to go down.

He walked out and for some reason; I couldn't muster the courage to check what he had written down. Trying to take my mind off the tension that had spread all over my body, I continued the game I had been playing on my Xbox. I checked the time displayed there, 10:35 AM, a sunny Thursday morning, two months to his birthday in April.

Hours later, my father casually strolled in without my brother. He didn't even pay a glance to my face. He saw my puzzled expression but still paid no mind. It was later that night when we had set the table and jack wasn't still home that he finally spoke up.

"Where's Jack?" Pearl asked probably wondering where her favourite family member was.

Everywhere became silent and the thoughts on the fact that Jack was the best of the best played in my mind. I couldn't but hope he was fine. My father pretended to not hear her and continued eating calmly.

"He's gone" he said, finally speaking up.

The silence doubled. He didn't even give us time to absorb the shock or take in the news before he said, "The beans appears a little underdone, sweetie". He didn't even raise his head to look at my mother when said this. He didn't notice the tear that slipped down or the way she had wailed because all that was on his mind was the fairly done beans.

"No.... It can't... Where's my son? What could he have done? Lord, he's a good child, the best. Keep him safe" she had prayed.

I didn't know how to feel but I had stayed awake mulling over her statement.

Of what use is safety to a dead soul?

I had thought he was dead but now as I dug through my closet for that pair of trousers, I had hope.

He's gone doesn't mean he's dead, right? There's a strong chance that he's alive somewhere.

Finally getting to the trousers, I found the paper easily.

I'M GOING AWAY.

MUM DIDN'T BELIEVE ME.

DAD WANTS TO KILL ME.

THIS IS IT.

WHEN YOU GET A BACKBONE, FIND ME.

ALOHA.

This note couldn't possibly help me. It doesn't say anything about his location but it'll have to do. I began going back down memory's lane and wondering if he ever said anything about going away.

The "Aloha" finally hit me and I turned the paper to see it was a magazine that had basically washed so I couldn't see the colors but the one part that stood out was where HAWAII was written boldly.

Well, it's time for a vacation.

**********************************************

This is one of the shortest chapter yet but I'm so excited to meet Jack (when we finally do). the next update will be soon maybe if 26th ish is soon enough.