Chapter 32: The Beginning Of The End

CHAPTER 32

JACK'S POV:

Day thousand and... At least 12 years after losing everything. Having to change my name and flee Nigeria leaving my family behind wasn't exactly the hardest thing to do seeing as my own father was the one trying to kill me. I tried to keep it under the wraps seeing as I couldn't get anyone on my side. Why have I been out of the story for years? I know you've been asking this within you.

FLASHBACK

It was just another one of those days when I'd wake up with so much regret. Regret over the number of people I had let down, the number of people I continually let down. The fact that every breakfast, every dinner, every meal I get too stare at the face of the one person I promised the world, of the one person I couldn't give that and I weep. My mother deserved the earth. She was the gold not mined.

I finally mustered up the courage to tell my mum all that happened. It seems she's ignorant of all her husband does or the way people keep their distance and give her way. I have absolutely no idea exactly how that could be since my mum can notice when the air was out of place.

I made sure to know my father's schedule. Obviously as a gang leader there's always that atom of unpredictability but I tried to keep up with him and I knew he'd be at the docks for the day.

I left school at mid day and rushed home. I knew I'd meet my mother just where she always was, in the kitchen.

"Mum, I need to tell you something"

"What? No good afternoon"

"I told your father that sending you on those holidays out of the country would make you lose your African heritage" she had muttered when I still didn't greet.

You mean those 'holidays' where I'm never too sure I'd make it back but I don't know how you let me go anywhere with that man, like he didn't have a track record of child trafficking because I'd have been the first case of a child sold by his rich father.

"Mum I don't know just what's wrong with you but your husband isn't who you think he is"

"He might be a bit strict but your father wants the best for you"

"He's not the best person to train any child not just us"

"Oh really, well that's not what the number of debit alerts say" I heard that deep voice I couldn't mistake for any other than The Lock Leader.

I didn't have any words as he playfully wrote off this confession as a teenager's reaction after being corrected and my mother laughed along even making a contribution of the kids these days.

I couldn't even feel disappointment or contain my shock. I just knew this was the end when he patted me on the back, leading me out.

END OF FLASHBACK

It was so much luck that I had actually thought up everything and saved up enough money to disappear, sadly I couldn't take James with me. I regret that every day and as I watched him grow from afar, I felt nothing short of pity for the child who was going through all this alone.

The fact that I only watched him from afar meant I couldn't really tell if my father had successfully indoctrinated him so deep into the life that he had begun to find some sick pleasure in that. I prayed for him every single day.

At the time I had tried to tell my mum about her husband, I didn't want anything much. Just for my family to finally be safe. I didn't care if we went from abundance to lack as far as we were safe and happy. Anticipating this demon of a man and holding his opinion higher than our safety wasn't a life I wanted for my brother and sister.