78. HATE OF A FATHER

KYLE

She replied.

Please, I don't want anything to do with that man. I already have a restraining order.

Rage bubbled within me. Not at her, but the whole fucking situation. I didn't blame her for wanting to be left alone. But I desperately needed her help.

I understand. Please. I promise you won't have to step anywhere near him. Just let me explain it on phone.

After about 5 minutes, my phone rang. I jumped.

"Hello?" The same voice again.

"Thank you so much. I am Kyle-"

"I know who you are. I have heard... a lot about you. And if I connected the dots right, I know why you are calling me." Her voice turned into a whisper by the end.

"And why do you think I am calling you?"

"I think you should explain that to me. It is too horrible a thing to only go by assumption."

My mouth felt sewn shut. It was one thing to tell people in a daze, as buts and pieces of data. Quite another to feel it while you say it, so the person doesn't think you're lying.

"Child abuse." Curt and short.

She didn't say anything for a while, and then sighed. "I thought so."

"Did he mention something about it?" I asked, taking a sharp breath.

"Not... exactly. It was. It was bad, Kyle. My son- he-" She stopped abruptly.

That motherfucker.

I should've said something all those years ago. I should've done something right then. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to have his slimy hands all over other kids.

And then I thought about all the photos of him with the baby, in the hospital, smiling and kissing Gracy. My blood turned cold.

To his own kid? What kind of psycho does that?

"I think I get it." I said quietly.

"I don't want anything to do with him. I have moved twice already because I am always scared he would do something. I am sorry, Kyle, I cannot risk the life of my son."

"Did you not go to the police?" I asked.

"I- He is a lunatic. I don't know what he would've done if-" She took a deep breath. "I was scared. I am still scared. I divorced him and got a restraining order, I am afraid anything more is exposing my son to all of that again."

I didn't know how I could ask her for it again. How I could ask this of her little kid. I got myself into this mess. I couldn't ask someone to disrupt their entire way of life. But then I thought of Kaea, of my father, but mostly I thought of all the kids in the orphanage. Of the danger they would be in if such a madman was not punished for his crimes. I had to try.

"I understand. But- if you could help me, I assure you, he would be getting punished for his crimes. My... people, they are very, very strict when it comes to kids. I promise that you and your kid will be safe and sound from him. You wouldn't have to look behind your shoulders, waiting for an attack, ever again."

She was quiet for a long time. "I am sorry." She whispered.

The hope I had felt inside of me deflated. "It's fine. I wish you all the best."

"Thank you. I wish the same for you."

Dammit.

KAEA

I could feel his agitation inside me like a tight knot. It had been there for a couple of hours. Clearly, the conversation didn't go well.

I called him, then, just to confirm it. He filled me in the details. She was scared, understandably so, her son had also been abused, who Kyle strongly suspected was also Roger's biological son. It hadn't worked out. Then he told me not to worry, he will figure something out, and thanks for the lead.

I bit my lip. I really shouldn't try to do anything. I might only mess it up more. I looked at my phone. I didn't think we had a lot to go on something that happened over a decade ago.

Time to be an idiot and butt in.

I dialed her number.

"Hello?" Gracy sounded tired. She had a very soft, feminine voice, the one which in its prime would have sounded bubbly and energetic.

"Gracy?"

"How did you get this number?"

"I am Kaea Avans. Kyle's-" She was a human. "-girlfriend. I think he talked to you just now."

She sighed heavily. "You are his mate?"

I was shocked into silence. Very, very few humans knew of our existence, certainly not people who lived so far away from the pack.

"Roger has told me about your kind. I met a few of your people. They were kind to me." She said.

"Oh." I gulped, my mouth dry.

"Kaea, I am sorry for your predicament. I really am. But I cannot help you, and my answer is not going to change."

"I get it, Gracy. I do. But if Roger walks free, there are so many kids he could hurt. Kyle is going to get punished. And-" I bit my lip again, not wanting to send her over the edge. "And you asked me how I got your number. It was on Roger's phone."

Silence.

"What?" I could hear the rising panic in her voice. "That's impossible. I changed the number just a couple days ago."

Now I was surprised as well. "He clearly has his ways. He is still in touch with a lot of people with a lot of reach. Gracy, I swear to you, we can put him behind bars, your suffering will end. Werewolves are very, very hard on people who abuse children."

"It's too risky-"

"Are you sure letting him go isn't? Because that is what will happen. You are our only hope right now. Please. At least think about it."

"I- I will."

I sighed in relief. "Thank you."

KYLE

After dinner, there was one message on my phone.

What do you want me to do?

I could feel my hope rising again.

Can we meet? Are you comfortable coming here? I texted her back.

I can't come alone.

I will pick you up.

Okay, I will text you the location.

I finally breathed in relief. I couldn't imagine what convinces her to come, but I was so very grateful.

Maybe it isn't entirely hopeless.

________________________________________

In the media box, you'll find, "Train Wreck by James Arthur". 

I know! 2 chapters in one week? What miracle is this? This is just me trying to make up for the horrible publishing schedule I have had, hahaha.

Hope you enjoyed! Please vote, share, comment if you did! It helps a lot :)

A very Happy New Year to all of you! 

K R Y S T L E