60. A SILVER DRESS

KAEA

I get ready as fast as I can, and go to the grounds where the fair was being held. I was kind of glad to see that things had not stagnated. At the very least, I trusted Kyle to always be a good leader. The cloth to cover the tent is already there, the poles, a guy was sitting on one of the huge speakers, and some things have been shifted on the other side of the fair to bring more furniture to us. Almost everything is here, and so was Kyle. His back tensed as I approached him, and he was standing with his arms crossed, muscles bulging. I don't think anyone here would even think to defy him if he stood there like that, with that scary glower on his face.

I stood beside him, and try to get this over with as well, as I had been doing since yesterday. Plus, a lot of the bitterness I felt towards him and gone. Maybe sleeping over it and maintaining distance was a good idea. I couldn't forgive him for making my life hell because he was internally a sociopath, but that didn't mean I needed to hate him. I just needed to stay away. So, casually, I asked. "What's up?"

"The tent will be ready in half an hour. You can set up the inside after that." He says in a tight but small voice and goes away. Fine by me. He was only making my work easier.

The tent was one of the obvious options when we asked how were we going to hold a dance outside. The good thing was students would be getting 50% off today, they deserved some fun. I was expecting to see too many people having sex in corners I would never even think of going to.

By the time they prepared the tent, I looked through the furniture and made sure we had enough chairs and tables. There also needed to be some laser lights and such, but that's on Andrew. He promised me he'd bring it today.

A red car swished and out came Lee, carrying boxes of food. Jacob came out from the driver's side, and picked up another box from the back, and a big glass bowl balanced precariously on the box.

"Please don't drop that." Lee told him.

He rolled his eyes. "No, babe. That was exactly my plan."

I let out a small laughter. Jacob smiled at me. "How do you handle her?"

"Hey!" Lee tried to elbow him but dropped the idea when the boxes started to teeter. "Where do we keep this?"

I looked back and the tent was almost ready. Kyle was working with someone and he kicked a pole hard a couple of times and it sunk into the ground. He looked up at me, and pointed a thumb at the tent. It's ready.

I sighed. "Give me the bowl. Keep these on that table. We need to set up the inside first."

Shifting the furniture inside was hard work. Although the entrance was big and the space very open and breezy, we thankfully didn't have any 'Pivot!' moments. Kyle and his dude gang helped, though we didn't talk. He knew the plan as much as I did. Though sometimes my mind changed and I just ordered it into the air because I didn't want to talk to him directly. Nevertheless, his jaw ticked but he complied.

Evening cam and we started hurrying, the table and food was ready. The punch was as well. The band was here. It was a local one, but the people loved them and they always traditionally played at the dance, so there was no compromise. Plus we only had one dance a year, the very creatively titles 'Annual School Dance' with it's very creatively titled 'King and Queen'.

I didn't even know why we bothered with the latter, it was always Kyle and Abigail. It felt more like a ceremony for them than anything else.

I left to get ready then, after the chaperones arrived. When I reached home, my parents were just getting ready to leave.

"I am gonna meet you there!" I yelled as I hurriedly made my way to my room.

I didn't have a date, so it was easy for me to find a nice dress without worrying too much. A short, fitted silver dress with some sequins but not so much it looked overdone. I straightened my hair, applied a little bit of makeup, and tried to not think about tomorrow.

Or today. I was kind of shutting my brain down. Being near Kyle made me super emotional and super pissed at the same time, so I just forced myself to be numb. That's all I had been the whole day. That's how I will have to be the whole month if I want to make it through.

My feelings, they were painful. And so was the knowledge that nothing could happen with those feelings. Denial was my way of coping. It at least left me able to do stuff. I didn't want to sit and eat ice cream all day. I needed to find it in me to get up and go. Get up and go. Maybe I was running away, but I didn't care.

I got up, and went.

_____________________________________________
In the media box, you'll find, "Tease by Salt Cathedral".

I am sorry for posting so late, I have just been dealing with a really heavy, personal loss. Hope you enjoy this chapter.

K R Y S T L E