49. ABOVE ZERO

KYLE

"What the hell did you do that for?" I asked her, in a grumpy mood as I drove her to my home.

She rolled her eyes. "Do you know what it feels like to be in love, Kyle?"

"No."

"Me neither. But since you are halfway there now, you should know more than I do."

And here I thought this was going somewhere deep and meaningful. Sometimes, Abigail was so much like Kaea. Maybe that was what drew me to her in the first place.

"I am not in love with her Abi. Not even halfway through." I gritted through my teeth, feeling my throat tighten.

"Alright then. I guess you just punch your classmates for fun now."

"He was calling her a whore."

"And? What? Your Alpha instincts came on? Kyle, you and I both know that Kyle the Alpha would have handled this much differently."

I gritted my teeth again. She was not wrong. If it was some other girl, I would have gone to the guy and made him apologise.

"And I did this because... for a long time I had carried the guilt of being that horrible to her. Unlike you, I didn't get some sort of sick pleasure rubbing her the wrong way."

"Abi- I am warning you."

She shut up for good after that. Which was nice, because she could be incredibly annoying sometimes.

As we reached my home, I helped her out, and we both went back inside.

"You are gonna stay here?" She asked.

I nodded and took out a bottle of beer, crashing out on the couch. I was too tired to deal with this shit anymore.

KAEA

"Should we have another girls' night out?" Lee asked, as we went around the shopping mall, looking at everything and buying nothing. We were getting on the shopkeepers' nerves.

Lee obviously didn't care. She had noticed that I was distracted but didn't bring it up. She knew that I would spill whenever I felt right.

"I am tired, Lee, let's just go."

She sipped on her strawberry shake and pouted her lips. "Fine."

She had sent Jacob away, and I was beginning to feel guilty, being the total misery bitch.

"I am sorry, Lee."

"Don't be." She linked her arms in mine. I had genuinely hit the friend jackpot because there was no way that there was better friend than her. "I wish I could help you Kaea."

"Abigail said sorry." I blurted out.

"What?!" She said so loudly that people turned to look at us.

"Shhh."

"Sorry. But what in seven hells?"

"I know. She said she was sorry for being a bitch and then clarified that Kyle was never in love with her."

"What?" Her confusion echoed my own.

"I mean I get what she is saying, I am not that dense. But, Lee, Kyle's hated me all his life... I just don't even know anymore."

"Kaea.... You would know a lot more if you talked to him."

I looked away. "How embarrassing would it be. If it was someone normal, I would. But my trust for Kyle is in the negative." I paused. "Or am I just being paranoid?"

"Well, he has done stuff to prove to you he is not as big of a douche as he was. I guess your trust in him could be...zero?"

She and I both laughed.

"Enough about me. What's up with you and Jacob?"

"Well... it's amazing." She paused, looking at my face. "We don't have to talk about it."

"Nooooo. This is my one source of happiness. Don't take it away from me."

She giggled. "Well, it's just been...normal."

"What's it like having a mate?"I asked, curious.

She bit her lip, thinking about it. "It's like having a best friend fall in love with you. It's not all about sex, you know, we just have so much fun, and even when we don't, he is my pillar of strength. But obviously, every time he even looks at me, I get turned on like a mother- I mean yeah. We chill out and we turn on the heat. It's... it's something else." She looked at me. "I know you'll find this one day."

It was nice that she thought so. I hoped so, and maybe Kyle's chance was not just at forgiveness.

Maybe.

"Talk to him." She said.

"I will."

***

I drank three cups of coffee because I couldn't sleep last night. I was so nervous about today, thinking and rethinking and overthinking what I would say to him.

"You look like hell." Lee said, as I shut my locker.

"Thanks."

"What are you doing here, anyway? Don't you have to be at the pack house?"

"No. I have to the work here. I won't be attending any classes." I stifled a yawn.

"Lucky you." Lee grumbled and I smirked.

I could feel Kyle a mile away, I knew he was coming this way.

"He's coming." I whispered to her.

"Oh. Good luck." She gave me a double thumbs up and ran away, and I smiled and shook my head.

"Kaea?" Kyle called out to me, and I turned, and then noticed several people turning in surprise that Kyle called me. Then they looked around waiting for something to happen, and I had to stop the urge to do the same. Giving him a chance meant that my trust in him had to be above zero.

"Hi." I said, and good lord, the air had turned so awkward. Between us and around us.

"Let's go."

I nodded and started walking after him, as several peoples mouth hung open. Wow. These lot are invested.

We stood in front of the Principal's office. Her assistant told us that Principal Hughes was free, and so we strolled in. He looked up from his desk with a surprise. And then the surprise turned to shock as he saw Kyle and me had come in together.

"Ms. Avans and Mr. Kovich. Is there a problem?"

Kyle and I glanced at each other, and I tried to hide my smile at his expression. He was weirded out by how shocked Mr. Hughes was.

"No, sir. We wanted to talk to you about something." Kyle said.

"We are representing the pack house right now." I clarified and his mouth turned into an 'o'.

"I see." He cleared his throat. "Please sit." As we took our seats, he said, "What is this about?"

Kyle looked at me to lead.

"Well, sir, we were thinking of organising a small-scale fair at this school. The money would go to the orphans."

He raised his eyebrows. "Alright. What do we have to do?"

I was startled at how the Principal was just onboard this plan. Kyle noticed that and with a small smile took over. "We were thinking..."

_____________________________________

In the media box, you'll find, "Bad Intentions by Transviolet".

K R Y S T L E