52. PLEASE DON'T MESS WITH ME

KAEA

I looked out at the basketball court, watching 10 players play as two sat on the benches, one drinking water. I walked to the darker-skinned man, his dark brown glistening in the sun. I recognised him as a werewolf from my pack. I didn't know his name, but I tapped him on the shoulder as I reached him.

He looked back at me, surprised to be poked. His eyes widened as he saw who it was.

"Hi?"

"Hi." I tried to smile warmly at him. I didn't know what his behaviour towards me. I wasn't thinking this for the football players because I knew that Mason would have my back, and a couple guys had tried to be nice sometimes early on, to be shut down quickly.

The basketball team on the other hand, was made of jocks, full of people of had previously tried to insult and mock me. But surprisingly, never gone too far. I was hoping this would work.

"Can I help you?" The guy asked politely, the surprise fading from his hazel eyes, being replaced quickly by curiosity.

"Umm...yes, actually. Could you point me towards your captain?"

His eyebrows raised, but he pointed a finger to big, burly guy with red hair, trying to dodge and equally larger black man, with a basketball in his hand. As I watched, he successfully manoeuvred past him, and... he goaled? Is that what this was called in basketball?

I had no knowledge of basketball lingo whatsoever.

He chest bumped another guy, and stuck out his tongue and showed his middle fingers to the opposing team, cackling loudly.

Not a very pleasant guy.

As he accidentally glanced the bench, he saw me. The guy I was talking to me called him over. "She wants to chat!" He yelled.

I tried to calm my nerves as the guy walked over.

"What's his name?" I whispered.

"Kirk." He replied.

Kirk stood in front of me, eyebrow raised, and from the glint in his eyes I knew he had recognised me. And, he wasn't one of the nicer ones.

"What's up?" He said, lowly and deliberately, letting me know early on that he didn't think much of me.

"I need to talk."

KYLE

"Have you seen Kaea?" I asked Mason, as he dried his hair with a towel inside the locker room. He shook his head wildly, letting water from his hair spray on me. I gritted my teeth. "What the fuck, Mason?"

He grinned.

I sighed.

"Well, where is she?"

"Man you are obsessed." He took one look at my face, lifted one of his shoulder. "I thought she was with you."

"She did come to me, but I thought she might have mentioned something to you about where she was."

His face darkened. "Oh, shit. I don't think she would do it, because you would talk her out of it. Did she talk to you about it?"

My heart beat a little faster. She was near enough that I knew she was in school, but far enough that I could roam hours before pinpointing her exact location.

"What?" I asked.

"She said we needed more men. That she would talk to the basketball fuckers."

"You let her go?!"

"Man, I saw what she did to Abi's father. She wasn't even breathing hard. I wasn't fighting her!"

I gave him the deadliest stare. "Those guys hate me. Now that I am..."