27. ALPHA AND BETA

KYLE
I couldn't let her go. I had tried. I didn't know why but it never worked. I thought about it, and every fiber of my being rebelled against it.

Opening the door to my home, I glanced to my left. Kaea must be on her date right now. It made me burn with jealousy, made we want to destroy her relationships but something stopped me. I couldn't let her cry again.

I wouldn't be able to see that- and the most it would do is to mess the situation up even further.

As I closed my door, getting rid of jacket, my father called out to me. "Kyle!"

Surprised to find him here at this hour, I walked into the living room to see him sitting with my mother. They both smiled up at me, and I raised my eyebrows. What the fuck?

"Sit, sit." My father motioned to the sofa in front of him, across both my parents. My father was the Alpha- his workload and burden was great, and it was hard for him to come home early. Which was why I was so surprised. My mother, even though she was the Luna, soon was tired of the stress that came with this kind of work- and yet, it was her that people came to complaints with. She held this pack together, while my father kept this pack running. Their determination scared me sometimes, made me wonder if I was ever going to be that good of an Alpha.

"Is something up?" I asked them both.

My mother raised her eyebrows at my father, who smiled. "So you are going to graduate from high school in a couple of weeks."

That was true. Werewolves didn't have to care about giving SATs most of the time, because they had to serve their pack for a couple of years after which they were free to do what they wanted. Sometimes, some people broke out of the pack, and went their merry ways, never to be seen again.

Kaea.My wolf whispered. He was angry, but he would never let me not change into my wolf form because of this. The responsibility of three thousand people was too great to be bogged down by such stuff.

But he was right. Kaea had said she would go.

I wouldn't let her. I told him back, but he only grumbled.

"So we were thinking it would be nice for you and your beta to start your training." My father had taught me how to fight, and would tell me often about how the pack worked, and urge me to study on this stuff. I did it all dutifully but he also wanted me to have somewhat of a normal life. Being an Alpha was both a blessing and a curse- he was afraid of letting my childhood slip by.

And for what he could do- he did as good of a job as he could.

"Training seems like a good idea." I told him back, honestly.

"Well we can begin tomorrow. Come to the pack house, and I will help you as much as I can."

"Tomorrow? What would I do?" He wouldn't give his work to me immediately.

"Just sit with me. A lot of it is desk job. See what is the difference between being a leader, and being a doer." He took one look at my face, and said. "Are you nervous?"

"No."

"Alphas need to stay strong, remember?"

I glanced up at him. "Yes, father." It felt as if needles prickled my back, pain sweeping across my skin. But Alphas needed to stay strong. It was a rule. It was the one rule I had never broken.

"Tomorrow, after school, then?"

I nodded, getting ready to go back, when I remembered something he had said. "My Beta? I don't have a Beta."

I could feel my jaw ticking. I didn't want him to answer it, but I desperately wanted it to be something else.

"What are you talking about? Kaea is your Beta. She is going to be training with her father."

Fuck.

KAEA

"Dad, please, no." My father frowned, his normally strict face confused. He was strict but a huge teddy bear on the inside, and I never wanted to upset him.

Then how do I tell it to him that I had no plans of becoming a Beta? How do I tell him that this...training of his would be useless? That no matter what, Kyle would never want me to be anywhere near him, despite what Andrew told me.

That I couldn't bring myself to care for people who never once helped me. Who were all cruel and rotten on the inside. They would neither respect me nor obey me.

Me being a Beta was absolutely, unfortunately impossible.

"Why, honey?" My mother asked, sitting at the dining table between him and me.

"I can't-"

"If you want you can take a day off. The day after tomorrow works just fine." He said again. His brown eyes were weary and tired, much like the Alpha. I didn't want to cause him any more pain.

"It's not that- I just-I can't." What a convincing point.

"This is your destiny, Kaea." My father said, taking my hands. "You would make such a great Beta."

"What if it's not?" I whispered. He believed in me, he truly did, but he was wrong. I knew he was.

"I know it is." I closed my eyes. What harm would it really do if I did train? When Kyle ultimately chooses someone else over me, it wouldn't be my fault, right? And dad couldn't fault his future Alpha. He never had.

"Alright. Alright, I will go. But not tomorrow." I conceded.

"Can you come by for ten minutes, at least? The alpha wanted to meet you."

Did I have to? Alpha Kovich was one of the best men I knew, but his son wasn't and I knew he would be there. But I supposed, there was no point in arguing.

"Fine."

I went back into my room, the happy faces of my parents burned into my memory and the wild flowers that I had picked up outside my room in my hands. As I lay down on my bed, flowers in one hand, and my phone in another, my eyes started drooping- and my last thoughts were of someone with dark hair and glowing silver eyes. Kisses on my lips and caresses on my cheeks.

____________________________________
In the media box, you'll find- "On the Run by Kayou."

The next few chapters have been a pleasure to write and I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them!

Please vote, comment, share and follow. :)

K R Y S T L E