32. WHY ME?

Something beeped loudly, I grunted. Lee whispered, "Sorry."

"Who is texting you this late at night?"

"Oh...."

I knew. "What's he saying?"

"Nothing."

"Lee."

"He is waiting outside my house."

I stared outside the window, watching the trees flutter by. "Could you please drop Lee?"

"Kaea-"

"Shut up and go. I will be sleeping anyways. I will... be okay."

"But-"

"Lee."

After a few more arguments that she started and I quelled, she finally agreed. Our distance increased by less than a mile for this route.

Lee got out of the car when we arrived, smiling at me and mouthing Thanks. I tried to smile back.

"He is...?" Kyle asked.

"The guy you threatened."

His jaw hardened, and he started the car.

KYLE

Drunk she was different, but drunk she was the same.

As soon as I reached my home, I turned back to Abigail. "Be quiet when you go inside."

She nodded and got out, taking the keys underneath the pot on my porch. She turned once again but slowly opened the door and went inside.

The car's door clicked open. Kaea was half outside, before I grabbed her hand, and immediately dropped it. Just touching her was enough.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"My house is less than five minutes away. I will be okay."

I got out. "Kaea, don't make me do something I would regret."

She started laughing loudly, and I rushed to keep a hand on her mouth. "Don't wake them up."

She raised her eyebrows, looked at my house, and then looked at me. I dropped my hand, again. Cursing myself, cursing her, cursing life.

"Come on."

She stood there, and suddenly started swaying. I held her, again, feeling those things, again. I fucking hated it. I absolutely loved it.

"Kaea?" I whispered.

"I need to..." She rushed to the bushes next to my neighbor's house, and hurled. I shook my head, standing there and holding her hair, soothing her back.

What the fuck was I doing?

She stood for a couple more seconds, and then grimaced, wiping across her mouth. There was a sudden clarity to her eyes, but not too much.

"I can go."

"Let me drop you, please." Ordering her around was absolutely not going to work.

She stared at me, and without saying anything, started walking towards her home. "We'll walk."

Of course, we were.

KAEA

Was this a new tactic he was trying to poison me with? Or was he always nice and I never saw it? Why did he hate me so much?

Why me?

"I don't know." He said, and I realized I had spoken out aloud again. That was happening a lot to me, and I decided I just would stop thinking.

But my brain disagreed. "I wish I was as pretty as her."

"What?"

"She's gorgeous. Abigail. Maybe you would hate me less."

I couldn't believe my brain was coming up with this shit storm. I couldn't believe I was saying this.

Kyle stopped, and I stopped too, looking at him.

"You're gorgeous." He said into the dark night. Liar. He didn't mean that.

"I wish I was her." I looked up. I didn't wish that. I did wish that. "Except you know- her father is a dickhead."

He was standing inches in front of me. Tentatively, he put a hand on my cheek. "I don't wish that."

I was drunk. What was his excuse?

"She is strong. Stronger than me. I don't know how I would have lived with that man."

I hated Kyle, and I hated my life, but there was difference between your parent beating you, and your ex-friend bullying you.

"You... think that's strength?"

I nodded. I didn't know why. I could just leave. Walk straight ahead with my head held high. Go away. But this felt nice. And this felt good. Nice and warm and something full.

I didn't want to go away.

So I turned and started leaving. Even in my stupor I knew this was not good. I could ignore him when he didn't make me feel good. How would I do that when he started to make it better?

But then I remembered something. I wanted more than 'I don't know'.

"Why me? You're nice to everyone else." I was right. At least, he wasn't downright a bully to everyone else. He loved his family, his friends, and was even respectful to  people from rival packs. Then, "Why me? What did I do? Tell me."

I wanted to know. I desperately wanted to know.

He just looked into my eyes. His face stoic. "I don't-"

"No. You will give me a proper answer."

There was a heavy pause in the air, as he ran a hand through his hair, and looked at me, no words coming to his mouth.

"You didn't deserve it." He whispered to me, and I was too shocked to hear that. And he was too shocked to hear himself say it.

"Then why?" His thumb caressed my wet cheeks, and I discovered tears were falling down my face again. "Why?"

"I can't tell you that."

And for the first time today, he walked away from me.

_____________________________________________
In the media box, you'll find "Monster by Dodie".

I have been finding so mnay good songs and good artists thanks to this lmao.

Please vote, comment, share and follow!

K R Y S T L E