34. HERE WE GO AGAIN

I thought he wouldn't find me. I was wrong. And stupid. For some reason, I forgot the mate bond.

I was struck with the realization that he could find me anywhere if he tried hard enough. There was no going away from him unless he rejected me. Because I couldn't reject him, I couldn't lose my wolf.

And I had been willing to do that.

But every time I shifted, I had another reason to not lose her.

He pulled out a chair, and sat on it. Dumping another load of files on the table. They were all titles 'Laws' followed by a specific topic.

I got back to my files, but I could feel his eyes on me. And as the silence stretched further, I grew more uncomfortable. I hadn't even looked at him.

I finally did. And then held my breath.

Why do I even try?

He looked amazing. Showered, clean, always so very handsome. And he had something other than hatred in his eyes. Was that...concern?

Before I could take that debate any further, he looked away. "You alright?"

"Yeah." I breathed, and then started cursing myself again. Fucking humiliating. But, he did help me. "Thank for you dropping me."

He still wasn't looking at me, but focused his attention on the files. He nodded slightly.

"How is... how is Abigail?"

That's when he looked up at me. Of course, it would be when I mention her name. What the fuck was up with me? I had never been this petty or jealous.

I pushed it down.

"She is... better." He opened his mouth and then shut it. After a moment, he said, "I would really appreciate if you didn't tell this to anyone."

I nodded. "Of course."

"And Lee, too."

"Hmm."

He got back to his work, but after five minutes, "Why?"

I looked up, he was frowning but looking at me intensely. Funny how he was asking this today, even though I had no idea what he meant.

"I don't..."

"Why would you... be so good to her? To us?"

"Because it's basic manners. You wouldn't know." I snapped. Was it this hard to believe that sometimes I cared?

And even then, it was rich coming from him.

"Exactly. We treated you like shit, you should be broadcasting this to the world right now."

I could feel a vein in my head popping. Talking to him always pissed me off. Why did I even start?

"Yeah, and then what? Feel worse about myself because I was trying to get off on the pain of others? I am not like you, Kyle."

His expression hardened. "I do not get off on your pain."

"Then I don't understand why you would do it. I don't deserve and you don't like it- so what the fuck have you been doing for a decade."

His expression twisted, but then sobered. "Nevermind. We are not here to fight."

I wanted to say, 'Yeah. Let's just not talk.' But I was too frustrated by his stupidity to bother with peace anymore.

"No. Yesterday night, you walked away."

"Oh, so you remember yesterday. You were so drunk that I figured you would be suffering from amnesia right now. Tell me- how the fuck was that safe?"