Chapter Nineteen

"Carmen!" Reid shouted as he banged on the closed door that Carmen had encaged herself behind.

He started to panic with every knock he banged, not being able to hear a sound from her, so he could know if she was okay. Well, he knew that she wouldn't be okay, but he just wanted to know if he could do anything to make her feel better. Did he ever wish he had said a word or two to Suzzanne before he left, but he felt as if he started that he wouldn't stop. Suzzanne just left an unsettling feeling within him leaving him with his muscles tensed with clenched fists, shaking. He knocked a few more times on the door before he heard the footsteps of a crowd rushing his way and that's when he turned around to see every single Startford, excluding Suzzanne and Austin. André obviously would be the one leading the pack, not looking his happiest at all.

He immediately stormed his way up to Reid, with this enraged, but concerned face that Reid did not hesitate to step back from. André looked down at Reid with that same concern look in his eyes that Reid reflected back to him. He gave him a look that asked if everything was okay and Reid shrugged his shoulders because he himself didn't know whether or not Carmen was okay.

"Is she okay?" Melanie finally exclaimed from the background, obviously anxious.

Reid shrugged again. "She won't answer so I have no idea and it's stressing me out."

André couldn't handle not knowing whether Carmen was okay or not. What his mother said at the table was borderline out of line and disgusting. He never knew how much hate was actually in his mother's heart that she had for Carmen. He just never thought it would be possible.

"What's going on? Is she okay?" Everyone turned to look down the hallway to see Paul rushing down the hall.

"I don't know," Reid replied, kind of getting annoyed by the question.

André was getting very frustrated by not knowing what was happening behind the door that his niece trapped herself in. He turned his full attention to the door and started to bang on it with a mighty fist that Reid was worried was going to leave holes in the door by the time he was done.

"Carmen! Unlock the door!" he yelled as his bangs started to die down.

Amy walked up to André to stop him from knocking viciously on the door. "Honey, stop, you're gonna leave dents."

André listened to his wife and began to take deep breaths to cool himself off. Reid decided to take over knocking since he believed that loud knocking would only give Carmen bouts of anxiety, more than she could experiencing right at that moment. He gently knocked on the door a few times.

He took a deep breath. "Carmen, please open the door. We're all outside worrying about you. Can you please just open the door, for me?"

Silence.

Paul was getting a bit angsty now. He knew he should have addressed Suzzanne on her behaviour from the day Carmen and Reid arrived. He knew that Suzzanne wasn't acting very kind towards Carmen since she got there and Paul knew it wasn't right, he knew that she didn't deserve any of it. Paul approached the door and squeezed himself in between a very distressed Reid and a very outraged André. Paul took a turn at knocking the door in hopes of Carmen finally answering, if she would even answer to him of all people that is.

Paul heavily cleared his throat. "Carmen, darling, can you please open the door? We're all here worrying about you, especially your boyfriend and uncle who are right beside me. We're not here to make you feel any worse, we just want to help you."

A few mumbles of yeahs came from everyone, but yet there wasn't an answer from Carmen, which was starting to make Reid super panicked. He could tell from downstairs that Carmen took everything that Suzzanne said like a bullet going in her and not coming out. She didn't seem as angry as her voice was, her eyes showed shades of shame and embarrassment that Reid had never seen from her before, but he guessed that it wasn't the first time she was called degrading names.