Chapter Forty-One

TW: DISCUSSION OF SEXUAL ASSAULT, ABUSE   

--------------------

"So, you're telling me our one solid suspect in this entire case is dead?" Morgan asked as he watched Reid pick up Carmen's secret file from the desk it laid on in Morgan and Aleesha's room.

Reid looked at it for a long time, trying to imagine what secrets were stored behind it. He couldn't wait for Carmen to come around and tell him everything he didn't know about her. Realistically she could wait months, years or even never tell him. He didn't quite know how he felt about the possibility of her never telling him. 

As the days went on he was getting more frustrated there seemed to be no right direction to the killer. He had convinced Aleesha it was in their best intentions for him to look through the file to see if there was someone else who could be after Carmen. He couldn't directly ask Carmen for this information in fear of her asking him why he was asking and he knew he'd tell her everything he's been doing when she wasn't watching.

"Yeah, apparently for a couple of months now according to the death certificate Garcia found," Reid finally replied.

"Cause of death?" Morgan questioned.

"He went missing two years ago and his mom decided to pronounce him dead. Supposedly he went for a hike one morning and disappeared. He didn't tell anyone which trail he was going, the park, what time, nothing. According to Garcia's searching, his mom was convinced he had gone into a deep depression after finding out some information he never told her about."

"So she believes he might have committed suicide?"

"I'm guessing, but I want to know what information he discovered which made him depressed."

Morgan shrugged. He was just as confused as Reid was and nothing about this case pointed anywhere solid. Both of their attention turned to the door as they heard the knob turn. 

Aleesha stepped inside with a few shopping bags. As she looked up and saw the two of them standing there she flashed a smile. She locked the door behind her and dropped her bags to the floor. She could see Morgan's disapproving face as he looked at all the bags, but she ignored him as soon as she saw Reid with the case file in hand.

She sighed. "I still don't know how I feel about this."

"Aleesha, I assure you this can help a ton at this point in the case because we have no ends meeting," Reid said. 

Reid's phone vibrated before Aleesha could scold him any further. He thought if she did there would be a high possibility of him changing his mind. He saw it was a text from Carmen asking where he was. He took that as his cue to get going.

"I'll catch you guys later," he said as he walked towards the door.

"Please don't ruin her mood by bringing this up today," Aleesha said as he passed by her.

"I won't," he said before exiting the room.

He made his way towards the elevator as he thought about how bad he wanted to look inside Carmen's folder. He didn't know what drew him into wanting to look at the contents inside the folder. Part of him wanted to know if this guy she had been with before Alex had any connection to the case. Another part of him wanted to know the side of her she was too anxious to let him know.

He pressed the elevator button and in no time the elevator doors opened and he stepped in, turning his back towards the elevator wall. He took the folder into both hands and stared at it. He took a deep breath, looked up and then back down. He opened it and his heart immediately started racing.