Chapter Thirty

Reid knocked on Carmen's apartment door three times and then just waited for a response. He stood outside dressed in his best black trousers with a grey suit jacket and grey collar shirt, which was accented with a red tie. Red wasn't a colour he wore very often and it wasn't necessarily one of his favourite colours, but he felt that red was appropriate for the occasion. He looked down at the bouquet of blossom pink roses mixed with blood red roses he had bought from Nosegay Flowers. He remembered that Carmen had mentioned how much their roses were precisely cut diagonally at the stem, so they could get the correct hydration from the water in order to last longer. He found it his duty as her boyfriend to surprise her with the flowers she always talked about. Under the bouquet of flowers there was a box of vegan donuts, Carmen's favourite dessert. He had bought a box of twelve that had some of Carmen's top favourite donuts which consisted of Dulce de Leche, Brown Sugar, Mocha Crunch and more.

He finally heard the familiar clicks of high heels rushing to the door to let him in. He straightened up his posture a bit even though it was perfectly straight before. He just always felt an urge to straighten up himself whenever Carmen was around for reasons he didn't know. He always thought it was the male instinct to appear more masculine height wise and muscular wise, so that his future mate might pick him from the rest, but he knew as soon as Carmen laid her lips on his he would lose his posture from his knees getting weak. When the door opened Reid was greeted by Carmen with chestnut brown locks with a hint of blonde throughout and each lock was twirled like a loose spiral slide that anybody would be lucky enough to ride. She wore a mid-thigh high dress, a sweetheart cut that was a vibrant red that could only scream love was in the air. Her smile gleamed up at him that reminded him of the first time they met. He still can't believe he complimented her on her teeth out of all the things he could have complimented her on. At least she didn't think it was weird. If she did, she wouldn't be standing there in front of him ready for their first Valentine's day together and he hoped there would be many more after this one.

Her sea blue eyes swam down to look at what he was holding in his hand and she never knew her smile could grow any bigger than it already was just from seeing Reid. She glanced back up at Reid, who was still gripping the box pretty tight to himself. He smiled at her smiling at him and he swore that he got lost in her ocean for the umpteenth time since they met. Now he understood what Morgan meant when he told him that he was drowning in an ocean that lead to Carmen's heart.

"Is that for me or did you bring that to show off to me what you got yourself?" she asked jokingly.

Reid took a few blinks of confusion before coming back to reality and realizing that he still had his gift to Carmen in his hands. He quickly jerked his arms forward, nearly crashing his gift to her right into her stomach.

"Oh God, I'm so-"

"Don't worry about it. The flower and donuts are apology enough," she giggled as she took the donut box with flowers on it from him to go place it on her breakfast bar.

"We're not even at the restaurant yet and I'm already embarrassing myself," Reid said as Carmen walked over to the couch to grab her purse and keys.

"You did not embarrass yourself. You bought me Nosegay Flowers and donuts from my favourite donut place in town, can a girl be more flattered? I don't think so," she said as she walked out the door and closed it behind her.

"You really like it that much? I mean I was going to get you something more extravagant, but I-"

"What's more extravagant than roses and a box of donuts?" she said as she turned the key to lock her door, so that they could be on their way.

"A bracelet? A necklace? Athletic wear?" Reid listed.

"Are any of those three things edible?" Carmen asked as they reached the front of the elevator.