Chapter Thirteen

The first half an hour was filled with little conversation between them and Reid just figured Carmen wasn't in the exact mood to talk. She wasn't in the mood at all to visit her family. When he met her outside his apartment, she tried to persuade him not to go because he had better things to do considering what his job was. Reid kept on telling her that the team could call him if they needed help on a case they were going on and if things got bad, they could leave immediately. She wasn't exactly impressed by his answer.

"Why did we have to take your car?" Reid complained as they were already half an hour into their destination ride to Queens, New York.

"Because driving distresses me," she simply said, not taking an eye off the road.

"To distress? If you're distressed while driving, why do you go over the speed limit?" Reid asked. He always noticed that whenever she would drive, she'd go a bit over the speeding limit and it kind of worried him.

"I do not," she disagreed, obviously oblivious of her speeding tendencies.

"We just entered an 80 km/h speed zone and you're going 90 km/h," Reid pointed out.

Her eyes quickly glanced at the speed metre and noticed that she was going 90 km/h. She eased off the gas pedal to slow down on her speed.

"Better?" She asked.

Reid took a pause before saying anything, "Are you okay? You seem a bit angsty,"

"A bit? That's what your years of profiling can come up with? I'm not just a bit angsty, I'm overly angsty. I'm nervous, angry, scared and anxious in a bad way. This whole thing is stupid," she confessed.

"You shouldn't be nervous. If anything they should be nervous to meet you,"

"Why should they?"

"Because you've accomplished a lot in your life that they probably never imagined would be possible and they're probably regretting giving you away,"

"Wouldn't they be proud to know that I helped commit two homicides,"

"They'd be proud to know that you tried to save lives,"

"But I didn't."

It went silent again after that mainly because Reid didn't know how to respond to that without bringing back some horrid meories. He could even remember walking into her foster father's house and briefly saw the lifeless body of a little boy. If it made him sick to his stomach than he couldn't imagine how Carmen might feel everyday since seeing someone so young get killed in front of her. Especially someone she swore she would have protected with her life. He looked at her from the corner of his eye and he saw how blank her face was. Every colour was flushed out of it and her eyes were endlessly glued to the road, but weren't focused on cars in front of them. They seemed to be in a totally different world from the past. He felt that it would be better to keep silent until it was his turn to drive.

An hour and forty-five minutes had passed and the silence was even getting to Carmen now. She swiftly took a look over to the passenger side to see what Reid was doing. He was just gazing out the window watching cars go by. She turned her attention back to the road as well and watched cars fly by. She mindlessly reached for her stereo system and turned it on. The slow sound of the the guitar intro of Come As You Are by Nirvana started to quietly play. She smiled and rocked her head side to side to the beat. She lip sang the first few words to herself as she continued to drive at a steadier pace. Reid noticed the music playing in the background and turned his attention to the stereo system then to Carmen. She didn't even notice him staring at her while she rocked out. It amused him how she could be so bold about pretending to be in front of a whole audience, singing Nirvana while hundreds of cars pass by, but refused to even say hi to her family members.