Chapter Thirty-Nine

Hi, everyone. Long time, no update am I right? Sorry for the hiatus, school and life have been a mess, but here is the veeeeerrrrry long-awaited chapter thirty-nine. Chapter Forty will be coming your way soon as well! Thank you for your support, comments and votes! Love y'all and hope you enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------

   Reid sat in the empty hotel room reviewing Carmen's parents' crime scene pictures again. He was still surprised that they had kept it on file for so long considering it was ruled a murder-suicide. Usually, cases like those would be long forgotten, but he wasn't complaining. Looking at them made it easier to envision what had happened step by step, but yet he struggled to piece things together.

'But why?' he questioned in his head as he stared at a picture of Olivia and Jeremy's bodies sprawled on the floor.

It was one of the last pictures of the set taken back in the early hours of June 21, 1989. A few photos intrigued him before the one he was holding in his hand. There was one taken of footprints in the mud leading to and from the backyard. It was written off as Jeremy's shoes since it was identified as a men's size 11. No specified shoe identified with it, but he wrote that off in his mind as the forensic technology wasn't there yet back in the 80s. There was a picture of an open back window which was ruled as suspicious at first, but written off as being open throughout the night. He thought that was flimsy police work. 

Before he took the time to look at the autopsy pictures, he heard his phone beep. He looked picked it up to see that Morgan had texted him that it was time for his meeting with Jason. He sighed as he placed the pictures back in the folder and back into his book bag. He made his way over to the bed and pushed his bag underneath. He didn't want to risk Carmen stumbling on them. She had such a great night yesterday chatting with her peers, talking about her passion for physiology and explaining her whole thesis. It was beautiful to watch her light up. He hadn't seen that side of her at the fullest in a long time. 

As he wrapped up looking at the picture of Jeremy laying on the ground surrounded by his own blood, he focused on his right hand loosely gripping the 9mm handgun. The self-inflicted gunshot wound was aimed at his front temple, just above his right eyebrow. He found it strange he would place the gun there instead of the side of his right temple. He placed the picture back in the file and sat to think for a moment. It took no longer than two minutes of thinking for him to start walking over to his file filled with Jeremy's letters he had hidden under the bed.

As he opened it, he took a close look at the first letter. He wasn't focused on the date or the context of the letter, but the smaller details. He noticed there were faint smudges on the paper. They resembled smudging which happens usually from a hand rubbing against the ink, creating a few streaks. If his thoughts were correct, Jeremy was left-handed, not right-handed as the picture suggested. He shoved the file back under the bed and pulled out his phone to text Morgan back.

He was eager to meet with Jason again because he felt as if something was coming from it. It could possibly help him solve either case and that made his blood rush. In a strange way he felt as if he was finding out more about Carmen from him than he did from her. It felt completely invasive, but everything Jason told him made him understand things better. If Carmen wasn't going to tell him and Aleesha wasn't going to give him that file. Even on his way down to the lobby, he thought about the file Aleesha had. He thought about it quite a lot, especially when he laid next to Carmen at night. 

As the elevator doors opened he saw Carmen talking to Morgan in the middle of the lobby. She was all smiles, so he knew that her AAPH meeting went well. Telling from the previous night they all loved her and the vision she had for physical therapy. He couldn't be happier for her, but the more he stared at her the more he thought of her parents. He thought of Jason. He thought of her past.