Chapter Thirty-Eight

Reid fixed his hair in the bathroom mirror as he expected Morgan to come by in a few minutes so that they could start their day off with a headache with a name. He would have been done fixing his hair a while ago, but he got distracted by the amount of pill bottles that took up the space on the counter. Birth control, iron supplements, sleeping pills, Zoloft, Advil, Xanax, Opana Oxymorphone and L-Tyrosine. They had always been hidden behind her medicine cabinet in her apartment and it always bothered him to know that she fed herself so many pills, especially since she didn't need so many. He understood that she needed birth control, advil and iron supplements, but the rest made him nervous and upset. The wrong dose of the rest could send her to a morgue table, as if she hadn't already tried that before.

He heard three quick knocks that distracted him from the problem to be before him. He walked out of the bathroom to answer the door with his eyes surfing over the bed where Carmen laid under the sheets bare. He smiled at her easy breathing and angelic look on her face. He reached the door and opened it to see Morgan with a smirk that only told him that he was in for a long conversation.

"Hey, pretty boy. How was your anniversary?" he asked.

"Asking questions already and I haven't even stepped a foot out the door yet. Besides, Carmen's still sleeping, so I don't want to wake her up," Reid said.

"Right. Doesn't she usually go for a run early in the morning? It's almost noon," Morgan pointed out.

"Change of routine," Reid answered as he turned around to go grab his satchel.

"Or you two were awake all night engaging in some freaky festivities," Morgan chuckled.

"I'm ready, let's go," Reid abruptly announced as he made his way back to the door.

"Spencer."

Reid turned around. He shifted to the side a bit, so that the wall wasn't blocking Carmen's half-awake smile. He turned back to look at Morgan, who just gave him a smirk as he left the room to give them a bit of privacy. Reid walked over to the bed and knelt down, so he was at the same level as Carmen. She gave him a tired smile before puckering her lips to gesture that she wanted a 'good morning' kiss and Reid did just what she wanted. As they parted lips, he took a moment to admire her morning state, which made her smile, flustered by the look on his face.

"I didn't know you got so flustered in the morning," Reid said as he brushed a piece of her hair out of her face.

She grabbed his hand. She brought his hand down to her lips, softly brushing her lips against his tender skin before kissing his fingers.

"I'm still flustered from last night if I'm being honest," she confessed with a smile. "When should I expect round two?

Reid blushed, looking away in embarrassment before answering her. "Maybe later tonight. Morgan and I are going to work the case right now,"

"I thought I heard Morgan. Don't forget to tell him and Aleesha about tonight,"

"I won't," he said before giving her another kiss, "but I better get going before Morgan becomes annoyed from waiting."

She smiled, letting go of his hand to give him the freedom to leave. He straightened up to leave, but all he could think about was wishing he was laying right next to her still.

"I'll see you later," he said as he turned his back to walk away from the bed.

"Be back before six, so you can get ready," she told him.

He smiled. "Of course."

He opened the door, closing it behind him, but not before taking one last look back into the room. He felt a sense of this void within him. The smile he had flashed was restraining him from blurting out what he did yesterday. He felt disgusting for playing with her trust in him when he just began to crumble her walls.