Chapter Fifteen

"I'm so sorry for that," Carmen apologized as her and Reid made their way downstairs to get ready to meet the whole family.

Reid shrugged his shoulders. "It's whatever. I don't care that you cry, it is after all a natural human response to cry to release a signal of distress for others to know when we're hurt," he explained.

"That's true. Remember we went to that lecture about human emotions a few weeks ago at Georgetown University," she mentioned as they made their way to the living room.

Reid smiled. "Ah yes, how could I forget? You tried to correct the lecturers several times about their inaccuracy,"

"It's better to let them know before they go off and tell hundreds of people wrong information," she said as they entered the empty living room.

It was odd. The living room wasn't supposed to be empty at all. Paul and Suzzanne were supposed to be in there waiting for Carmen and Reid. They both looked at each other with confused faces, but that soon faded when Suzzanne entered from the French doors leading to the backyard. Suzzanne was wearing a long, plain black dress with a black shawl with little beads outlining the edge of it wrapped around her shoulders. Her hair was down unlike her usual low, messy bun. When she saw them both, she put on a quick smile and made her way up to them with open arms. She embraced Spencer first which through Carmen off guard, considering he wasn't her grandchild and that she barely knew him. Then again Carmen had a feeling Suzzanne didn't like her as much as she did Reid only after a day and a half, but technically that's also how long she knew Carmen as well.

When she let go of Reid she looked at him from the top of his well-styled hair to the bottom where his well-kept black dress shoes were planted on the ground. Everything in between was a nice black dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, a purple sweater vest and a grey tie to match. His ensemble was complete with grey trousers to compliment his tie. She smiled at his attire and even straightened out his tie for him.

"Wonderful," she gently said as she let go of his tie.

Being polite, he smiled, but he knew she wasn't doing all this because she cared about his appearance; she only did it to prove a point. He noticed when she fixed his tie, she kept gazing over Carmen to get her attention. She wanted her attention, so that she could show her how much she favoured Reid over her. Not because Reid did anything better than Carmen, but because he never spoke his mind as freely as Carmen did to her.

"Thanks," he said in response.

Suzzanne finally turned her attention to Carmen. She spread her arms open, waiting for Carmen to wrap her arms around her, but she didn't. Reid had to slowly put his hand behind her back to slightly push her towards Suzzanne. At first she hesitated the first time, but on the second push she nearly fell into her arms. The hug was super short and Suzzanne leaned away quickly, but still holding onto Carmen's upper arms. She examined what Carmen was wearing. She took in every detail about how she carried herself into extreme. She looked at every loose curl that flowed down past her shoulders which landed on her white dress that was quarter sleeved that stopped mid-thigh. With her mother's chain around her neck. Her black heels were as shiny as Reid's dress shoes. Carmen just stared at Reid to help her out the whole time Suzzanne was inspecting her. Reid widened his eyes and shrugged his shoulders to tell her that he couldn't do anything.

Suzzanne finally let go and stepped back from Carmen.

"Nothing a bit darker?" she asked.

"Pardon?" Carmen said.

"You know, darker, like black,"

That tone in Carmen's voice meant that if somebody said the wrong thing after her 'pardon?', it wasn't going to end in their favour. He knows, he's tried to test it.