Chapter Twenty-Three

Reid was sitting on the hardwood floor of Carmen's apartment, eating the vegan pizza Carmen decided to generously make for Saturday's date night. He was reluctant at first to try it because he'd never had vegan pizza in his entire life and he didn't know what to expect, but he eventually softened up to the idea since Carmen was so eager to let him try it. He didn't regret it one bit.

Carmen on the other hand was in her kitchen whipping up some drinks for them to have along with her vegan pizza and what would be better than Piña Colada's.

"Did you prepare the cards?" she asked as she poured both their drinks into two small glasses.

Reid nearly forgot-even though he really couldn't-about the game of poker they were going to play, but no ordinary game of poker. Carmen insisted that they play strip poker to change things up a bit. When she suggested it to him, Reid turned a dark shade of red, but he was willing to try it. He liked trying new things and experimenting.

He reached into his satchel pocket to search for the deck deep within. He found it under his hard cover copy of Lolita that he brought with him during cases and would read the first paragraph to himself at night to remind him of Carmen. He slid out the cards from the cardboard package and began to shuffle them.

"Why are we playing on the floor again?" Reid asked, still shuffling the deck.

"We're playing on the floor because I don't trust you playing around the table. You'll probably do some magic trick underneath the table to make sure you win," Carmen said as she walked over to where he was sitting in the middle of the living room. She sat down cross-legged in front of Reid, setting one glass on his side and the other on hers. He looked up and smiled at Carmen, which she reflected back to him.

"Why would I ever do that?" Reid said as he dealt two cards for Carmen and two cards for himself. They decided earlier that they would play Carmen's favourite variation of poker: Texas Hold'em.

"Hmm, I don't know, maybe you really want to win, so you can see me naked," Carmen said, picking up a slice of her pizza.

Reid nodded his head, smiling. "No, I wouldn't do that. Besides don't I always see you naked during sexual intercourse?"

"Ugh, why do you call it that? That's so formal for something that's not formal at all,"

"Would you rather me say coitus?"

"I'd rather you just say sex," Carmen said as she picked up her cards. "Don't peek at them,"

"I wasn't peeking," Reid defended, which made Carmen sneer.

She placed her pizza down, so she could put a card in each hand. She felt pretty confident with what she had and what was laid out on the floor, but then she stared up at Reid, who had an even bigger look of satisfaction on his face.

"You seem pretty confident, poker master," Carmen pointed out.

"You could say that. Would you like to start?" Reid asked in a very tempting way and Carmen couldn't help, but take the bait.

It was a steady game, so far and neither of them were backing down to a fold. If they wanted to fold they would automatically would have to strip a piece of clothing off and neither one of them wanted to go down that easy. As Reid revealed the last card facing up in the middle of them. Now it was up to pure luck to see which one of them had to peel off a piece of their clothing. Reid looked to Carmen, who was biting her bottom lip nervously.

"You do that a lot when you're nervous," Reid pointed out.

Carmen snapped out of her concentration and looked at him confused. "Do what?"