Chapter Twenty-Seven

I literally SUCK at updating, but here it is!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carmen tossed off her fifth shirt that she put on to try on a new one since the first showed her stomach a bit too much, the second was a bit too tight, the third didn't match her pants, the fourth was too pretentious and the fifth didn't flatter her shape. If she had spent any longer picking out what to wear, they'd be late to the Christmas dinner Reid had promised his mom a month in advanced and he already knew how much she hated change in plans.

He looked over to see Carmen rummaging through her suitcase trying to find the perfect top. It already took her about half an hour to find the perfect bottom and it was pushing that half an hour mark for her to find a top. Miraculously, she pulled out a top and held it up in victory as she rushed to put it on. It was a blue and white plaid shirt that Carmen would usually button up until it hit the area of her cleavage because it would become too tight.

"Big boobs. You hate them, you love them. They come in handy, but they don't always cooperate with your fashion taste," she'd always say to Reid whenever she'd try on something that hugged that area a bit too tightly.

Reid raised an eyebrow at her when he saw that she buttoned the top all the way up. Before he could barely even notice that some shirts were too tight on her chest, but now that she purposely buttoned it up all the way, it seemed forced to him.

"Are you ready now?" he reluctantly asked.

Carmen nodded her head. "Yeah, just have to do some finishing touches."

She went to the dresser where her make up kit was and the only thing she grabbed out of it was mascara, which wasn't like her. Reid recalled her make up routine so well that he could probably do her make up for her even though he's never used make up tools before. She always put on foundation, eye liner, mascara, light blush sometimes, pencilled in her eyebrows where needed, occasionally put on eye shadow and she always put something on her lips for a statement of some sort or at least that's what she told him. It was bizarre to him that she skipped out on 95% of her make up routine and he was beginning to become questionable about her behaviour.

With a few flicks of her mascara brush, she screwed the cap back on and placed it back in her kit. She took out her lip balm and rubbed it gracefully on her lips and then rubbed her lips together. She placed the lip balm in her pocket as she went to go dig through her tiny luggage bag that carried her hair supplies. She smiled as she pulled out a white head band and placed it on her hair, removing the hair that was blocking her face. She went back to the dresser to look in the mirror intensely, as if she was judging herself on the way she appeared. That's when it hit Reid. 

She picked up the small, square present that she had spent three weeks prior deciding if it was perfect for his mom. She even wrapped it with great care, making sure that the red and green striped wrapping paper wasn't crinkled, that the tape was evenly put on and that the bow was perfectly placed. It took her about five tries to get it the way that she wanted it.  

"Okay, I'm ready," she said with a smile as she turned to look at Reid.

"You know," he said as he stood up, "she's gonna see right past you. She has a strange sixth sense like that."

Carmen looked at Reid, pretending to be confused, but deep down she knew what he was talking about. "I don't understand what you're getting at,"

"What I'm getting at is that this isn't you," Reid said.

Carmen looked down at her feet. "Well, it could be me for a day,"

"We're here for a week,"

"Well, let this be me for a week. I just want this impression to be the impression that your mother gets from me," she confessed and Reid could just hear the anguish in her voice.