Chapter Eighteen

Carmen stood in front of the mirror trying to fix her hair properly for yet another night having dinner with the family. On a Friday, she would usually be coming home from work at this time and making herself something she actually wants to eat for dinner. If she was lucky, Reid would be in town and they would spend quality time together and not being supervised by a very buff, very intimidating uncle. As she thought about it, she would rather be anywhere else, but here at the moment.

Reid on the other hand was already done getting ready for another dinner with Suzzanne giving him and Carmen dirty looks, André giving him death glares and Carmen complaining about how much she rather be back home. He looked at her fixing her hair in the mirror. He watched as she tucked a piece of hair behind her left ear and then untucked it and did the whole process over again.

He laughed. "Either way looks nice on you."

Carmen looked at his reflection in the mirror with a confused expression. "What do you mean?"

"You keep tucking and untucking your hair to find a correct style to put it in, so I was just saying," Reid said.

Carmen smiled. "Thanks."

Then it went silent again. Carmen finally decided to leave the piece of hair untucked and moved on to her makeup. Reid looked as she did the finishing touches to her face. Before she did her hair, she did all this fancy makeup work to her face and Reid finally asked her why she did all that and what certain brushes were used to do. Her face lit up since this was one thing she could school him about. At the end Reid still didn't understand why she went through all of that and explained that she was beautiful without her makeup, but she just explained that even the best works of art need a bit of touching up.

As she doused her lips in blossom pink lip stain, that Reid specifically remembered her getting from Target because he was there when she coloured herself with multiple shades of pink: hot, blossom, magenta, rose, etc. He only knew the different shades because Carmen explained them all to him, so that he could help her pick one. He thought that the blossom colour suited her lips perfectly.

Reid looked on as she puckered her lips to rub lip stain on any area that she might have missed. As she did that, her eyes started to focus more on what Reid was doing than her own lips. She expectedly met his eyes. He looked bored like he always does when there's no conversation being spit back and forth since he always had something spinning in his head, ready to say whatever he had on his mind. She blew a kiss at him from her reflection which caught his attention fully.

Carmen smiled and turned around to face him. "You look bored."

Reid shook his head. "I'm not; I was more puzzled than bored,"

"That was your puzzled face? I have to get better at this profiling stuff," she joked.

Reid smiled. "The difference really is in my procerus, buccinator and zygomaticus minor muscles since when I'm bored they tend to be more relaxed and not as tense, but when I'm puzzled my procerus muscle-"

"Is tenser, I get it now, but why are you so confused?" she asked.

"Well, we've been here for five days now and I've noticed that you're becoming more open towards your family; not just the MacAdam's, but also some of the Startford's," Reid said.

Carmen raised her eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yes. You call your paternal grandma, grandma, you call your aunts and uncles, aunt and uncle, you refer to your cousins as your cousins and you're starting to take a liking towards your grandfather,"

"Okay, who wouldn't take a liking to Paul? It's not really his fault that he married the wicked witch of the west,"

"East. North-east to be exact," Reid corrected.