Chapter Twenty-Two

"So, how long has it been since you've gone away on a case?" Carmen asked as her and Reid stood in line at the highly talked about District Commons.

"Sixteen days, twelve hours and forty-three minutes," Reid replied in a cheerful voice.

Reid was over delighted that they finally could spend continuous days together after work. They hadn't spent time like this together since New York, but their personal time alone was way better than relatives always watching them, especially André.

He looked over to his side where Carmen was standing and took in everything about her in a flash of a look. By just looking at her, with her dark brown locks that now swept into a lighter tone as it reached the end, the way her gaze met his as he admired her and the way she smiled at him as if she had seen the best thing in her life made him glad that a serial killer wasn't on the loose for the past few days.

"Really? It feels longer than that, but then again any time spent together this long is a long time in my book," she joked as her smile turned into a beaming grin.

Reid reflected that grin back to her. "Yeah, I'm really glad no cases have popped up. Hopefully none pop up any time soon."

Carmen graciously smiled at him as they reached the front of the line, where a hostess met them. She swept her long, blonde side bangs to the side, which revealed a few wrinkles in the lined vertically down her cheek. She looked up to the both of them. Her eyes just slightly glanced at Carmen, but once she laid her eyes on Reid, she couldn't seem to take her eyes off him. Carmen noticed the awfully long look the hostess was giving Reid, which Reid didn't seem to even notice. Carmen inched her hand closer to Reid's to make an attempt to hold it. Reid felt her hand trying to grip his, so he immediately held onto it, which brought comfort back to her.

"Hello, handsome, why don't you follow me this way?" she said in a musty voice as she turned around to lead the way.

As they walked towards their assigned table, Carmen tugged on Reid's hand to signal him to look at her. He quickly turned his head to look at her as she looked up at him with half concerned, half disturbed eyes.

"I think you've attracted the eyes of our hostess," Carmen faintly whispered, so the hostess couldn't hear.

Reid shook his head in disbelief. "I don't think so. Why do you think so?"

"Because she gave you "that" look that I always give you. It's the look of dilated pupils and a quickening heart rate," she explained as they reached their table, Reid still confused on what she was hinting at.

"Well, here's your tab-" she said as she turned around, but she cut herself off as soon as she noticed them holding hands.

She tried not to be obvious, but Carmen couldn't help notice how she glared at their interlocked hands as she carelessly threw the menus on the table. She took her eyes off their hand holding to cut her eye at Carmen and raise an eyebrow at Reid.

"So, you two aren't brother and sister?" she asked, bitterly. Carmen rolled her eyes because she knew that she already knew they were together, but was making up an excuse to justify her flirtatious actions.

"Oh no, we've been dating for four months now," Reid said, obviously being oblivious to the fact the hostess was being flirtatious with him.

"Oh, I would have never guessed. She looked as if she was your younger sister," she said, which made Carmen sigh out of frustration and fluttered her eyes in annoyance again.

Reid awkwardly smiled at the hostess and nodded his head. He quickly glanced at Carmen to see how annoyed she was and then looked back at the hostess as she gave him an uneasy friendly smile.