Chapter Twenty

Reid was driving through the streets of Queen's still in shock about everything that happened last night. He was surprised that Carmen decided to stay another day after Suzzanne dropped in front of her, basically proving that all this time she was below Carmen, always aiming low and dirty. But Reid could finally see a sense of grief in Suzzanne when Carmen was going on about how much trauma she's been through after all these years of suffering while Suzzanne sat back and hoped for the best.

The best thing about last night that couldn't shake Reid's mind was when Carmen sat Suzzanne down on the couch again to exam her knee. He didn't know if she did it because that's her grandma and she felt sorry for falling or it was just her second nature to help someone with a disability or injury. He assumed it was a bit of both

Carmen gently massaged her fingers on Suzzanne's right knee first as everyone staring intensely at every procedure she was taking. Reid had all his attention focused on Suzzanne's eluded eyes staring aimlessly at Carmen instead of her knee that was being toyed with.

Carmen slightly shook her head and let go a sigh. "Typical case of osteoarthritis; I should have known."

Just by the tone in her voice Reid knew Carmen was beating herself up for not noticing earlier that there was something wrong with Suzzanne physically and later he knew that she would vent to him about it. But he knew that the only reason she was blind to it was like the same way Suzzanne was blind to how she was being insensitive towards Carmen; resentment blurs the best of visions.

"How long have you had crutches for?" Carmen asked, surprisingly concerned.

Suzzanne stayed silent, still out there somewhere, but Paul didn't hesitate to answer right away with a year as his answer. Carmen looked up at Suzzanne and then around to all her relatives, marvelled by this new discovery.

"It must have been killing you to walk this whole entire time," Carmen commented.

"She used them when you weren't around," Melanie blurted out, automatically earning a look of being dumbfound by her sudden abruptness.

Carmen looked very upset at Suzzanne as if the role of grandma and grandchild were switched around. She knitted her eyebrows together in confusion on why she was doing this to herself just to prove that she was still the almighty Suzzanne she portrays herself to be.

"I don't understand why you're doing this to your-"

"Is it...true?" Suzzanne hesitantly asked.

Reid looked around to everyone standing, waiting to hear her response. He guessed that Carmen yelled loud enough for everyone in the house to hear because they definitely knew. Carmen solemnly nodded her head.

Everyone awkwardly exchanged eye contact, but in all they didn't seem disturbed at all by it. If anything they were heartbroken to know that she wasn't exaggerating anything that happened to her. To Reid's surprise he noticed that Suzzanne didn't screw up her face in disgust or kick Carmen away from her leg. He caught a small tear drop down her left eye, but she immediately wiped it away before it could travel down her face for everyone to see.

Reid rushed his way through the front doors of Bello Italia since he was on a mission to end this whole family dispute. Or at least try. A fairly young hostess with light brown hair was ready to greet him at the door with a bright smile.

"Hello, welcome to Bello Italia. Table for one?" she asked.

"I'm not here to eat, I'm here to talk to Lorainne. Do you know where she might be?" Reid asked and the girl quickly nodded her head.