Chapter 33

April

"No."

It was barely a whisper, but he heard me. Like waves crush over sandcastles washing it out as it goes, my one word washed off the smile on his face.

"No."

"No."

"No." I shook my head and keep saying no. I wasn't answering him It was more like I was convincing myself. I walked out of there increasing my pace.
He still stood on the ground with the ring in his hand. I turned around and walked away. My heart thumping against my chest felt heavier than any stone. The weight pulled me down. I stumbled in the sand but keep moving.
"April, wait," Lucas shouted in the back I didn't stop.

I continue to walk down the unknown, deserted road, I felt a clinch inside of me. Something wanted to come out of me, something wanted to scream, yell, cry, run back to the person I left there, who expressed his love for me for the first time. And that something inside of me was no one else but me.

The me I lost in my childhood, the me I lost when my father pushed me away when I needed a hug from him, the me who was told that I don't deserve love. The me who craved love and emotional attachment but too scared to accept it. The me that I have locked inside myself building stone walls all around so that I can protect myself so that no one could hurt me anymore.
I kept walking, not knowing where I was headed to. No tear left my eyes. I was just tired, exhausted and all I wanted was to sleep.

Dimitri

I lay down on my bed staring up at the ceiling. Her face came flashing back to me again and again.
I turned around and grabbed my phone from the side table. The time showed 12:35. I battled with the thought to send her a message or not.

I let out a sigh and throw the phone away. She is going to avoid me like every other time. Why does she always need to run away from every situation in her life and not face it?

It's been two days since then, I walked into my office and sat down. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't concentrate on my work all I can think about is her.
Though she said no to me but for some reason I feel like that was not the truth. She is hiding her true feelings, she is hiding something serious and I have to know about it.

I tried calling her once again.
Switched off. Huh.
Hand in my face I sat down thinking about what to do.

"May I come in?" I looked up to see Lucas walking in.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Umm...I was wondering what happened that day?" She left like that is everything alright?"

"Nothing is fucking right." I let out a sigh." she said no."

Lucas stood there for a minute without a word.

"Do you believe what she said?"

I looked up to him "what do you mean?"

"Look I might not know her that long but one thing I have noticed that her words and what she actually feels are rarely the same. She says she doesn't need help but she does, she says she's alright but most of the time she isn't. So maybe...?"

"I actually thought that too."

Lucas quickly took the seat.

"Look I am telling you, 100% sure she didn't mean what she said. Call her and talk to her."

I looked at him. "Do you think I didn't try calling her? She won't talk to me."

" So are you going to sit here and let her go just like that?"