Chapter 25

Dimitri

I checked my watch at 6:00 pm.
The meeting took quite a long time.
I walked out of the room and headed towards my office where April is waiting for me.

The thought of seeing her relaxed me a bit.

I turned the doorknob and walked in to see April sleeping on her desk hugging the bouquet I gave her earlier.

I slowly walked towards her trying not to make any sound.
I took a strand of hair falling over her face and gently tucked it behind her ear.
Her cheeks pressed against her hand looking more chubbier, her lips formed in a pout she was sleeping so peacefully.

“April?”

“wake up.”

She turned her face on the other side as a soft morn escaped her mouth.

“uhmm I’m not sleeping.”

I couldn’t help but smile at her, how can she be so effortlessly cute.

“come on, wake up now, it’s getting late.”

After a moment she turned her head towards me, blinked twice staring at me like a lost kid.

“come on.”

She rubbed her eyes and slowly stood up taking wobbly steps, picked her bag and the flowers, and walked out of the office.

We got inside my car and drove out.
April keeps nodding off to sleep as I drove.

“April?”

“Get the bag from the back seat.”

She quickly sat up and took the bag.

“Open.”

She took out a box from inside the bag and opened it to reveal a silver pendant with an angel wing charm attached to it.

She stared at the pendant tracing the wing with her little fingers.

“W-what is this Mr. Martínez?”

I parked the car a few blocks away from her house.

“It’s your graduation gift.”

She looked up to me somewhat confused.

“T-thank you Mr. Martínez but you d-don’t have to g-get me any gift.”

“I do.”

“I-I can’t take it Mr. Martínez.”

“Do you like it?”
I hope she does.

“Yes, I-it’s beautiful.”

A smile formed on my lips.

“Let me put it on you.”

“But Mr…..”

I took the pendant from her hand and put it on her.

The pendant sparkled reflecting the street light.

I stared at her as she fidgeted with the charm.

“M- Mr. Martínez t-thank you” she mumbled. “N-not just for the gift b-but for coming t-today. I-it really m-means a lot to me.” she slowly looked up to me but immediately moved her glance seeing me looking at her.

“April do you know why does it have the wing?”

“It’s an angel wing, it is the symbol of protection, affection, and harmony. It means I’ll always look over to you and protect you.”

She kept quiet still tracing the charm.

“Why?”

“W-why do you w-want to look o-over me a-and protect me I-I’m just an employ…..”