Chapter 29

April

He let go of my hand and entered the car.
I sat down next to him. He didn’t spare me a glare nor said a word.

The entire car ride was silent and so was the meeting. 

I tried hard to find comfort and reassurance in his eyes but he denied to give me any of it.

I tried to spill the words through my eyes that was clogged in my throat but the only and the most beautiful pair of hazel eyes that I was searching for, those eyes that have always understood my words, my feelings without speaking one, that has assured me and the feeling of being understood through silence wasn’t there for me today.

And for the first time in my life, I felt the need to be understood more than anything.

No matter how much I deny but deep within I could feel the change.

I could feel the threads getting tangled and tightening around us with each passing day.
I could feel the bricks losing their grip slowly but surely. The wall that I have built around me, putting my dedication years after years to protect myself has started to tremble.

I look up at him.
He was writing something on a piece of paper.

I must protect the wall before it collapses.

I must protect myself.

The meeting ended earlier than we expected.
The scenario was the same again as we returned to the office.
He walked into the office and stood in front of the huge glass window staring out.

I took slow steps and walked up to him.
I waited but he didn’t say anything.
He turned around to face me.
I looked down.
“I-I am sorry. I- I was…I……”
I found myself at a loss for words.
I stood there in silence.
He gently tucks my lock behind my ear.

“Look at me,” he demanded.

I slowly look up at him hesitantly.

“April I just want you to talk to me, let me know what’s going on, what’s bothering you. I want you to be comfortable enough with me that you can share anything and everything.
I can understand it is overwhelming and hard for you but you have to try.”

He gently cupped my cheeks.

“Don’t create this wall between us April, don’t push me away from you.”

“I….. I have n-never shared anything with anyone before. I-it’s….. It’s….”

“You have all the time you need.”

I stood there silently looking at the ground.
A minute or two has passed, I took a deep breath.

“M-My f-friend Lucas he was mad at me b-before a-and then I heard people saying……… things about me so I-I got a little upset that’s all.”

He gently embraced me into a light hug.
The familiar fragrance hit my nose, the warmth radiating from his chest and the rhythmic beating of his heart made me melt against him.

I wanted to hug him tightly and let the tears flow boundlessly.

I wanted to show him the scars, the fear in my eyes, and the demon hidden inside me.

I wanted to let him know that he was just wasting his time because no matter how hard he tried I was broken into so many pieces that it was beyond repair.

He planted a soft kiss on my forehead.

“Just give me some time, I promise I’ll take care of everything okay?
But before that, you have to promise me something.”