t w e n t y s i x

I can't believe we're leaving already. I feel like we just arrived yesterday. Although... this month has been more eventful than the rest of the year has. I never would have guessed I'd be here in this position. With two boys that like me — plus Oikawa. I'm still not exactly sure what goes through his mind. Maybe he's just using me like people say he does to every other girl. It doesn't make sense though, why they all like me out of everyone.

I packed my stuff as quick as possible and went straight to breakfast. Oikawa, Ushijima, and Bokuto were all sitting at a table when I arrived (lucky me...). I ended up having to sit right inbetween Ushijima and Bokuto. Oikawa was infront of me and he'd wink every once in awhile. Plus he'd tap my foot a lot. I would kick him right back.

After breakfast it was time for goodbyes. When I got to the bus, I didn't have Sara to make me late so I was one of the first. I gave Bokuto a really big hug and willed myself not to cry. I'll see him Saturday if he keeps his word. I didn't bother saying bye to Oikawa, I'll see him when I get home anyway.

None of the girls said bye to me either, I didn't expect them too. A little short blonde girl from Karasuno's boys team came and told me I looked pretty though. I think that's the nicest thing a girl has said to me.

I said bye to Akaashi too. He was really nice about it. Bokuto got in a really bad emotional state and Akaashi had to cheer him up.

Before getting on the bus, I throw my bags in the pile with all the others and step up. Only Ushijima and Tendou are already here. Of course, they're in the back again.

"Don't you guys ever want to sit in the front?" I call and they look up.

"Why sit in the front when we can sit in the back?" Tendou replies but he says it almost absentmindedly because his eyes are behind me. Looking for Sara.

I roll my eyes internally and take a seat next to Ushijima. He scoots over for me but this time it isn't awkward when we touch. It's almost electrifying.

"You, uh, needed to talk?" I ask looking up at him.

He shifts in his seat. "Yes."

I wait for him to continue, but he doesn't. "About?" I poke his arm.

He clears his throat. "I wanted to see if you wanted to go out. Friday. With me."

I blink at him. Is he asking me out on a date?

"Sure," I squeak out.

"I'll pick you up at seven." He relaxes back in his seat and I swallow. That was fast.

Did I just agree to a date with Ushijima? I don't get to think much of it because my phone vibrates through my jacket. I take it out and see my mother calling — again. She has called way too many times.

I answer the phone with a sigh. "I'm heading home, Mom."

"Y/N! I've been trying to reach you for days!"

"Yes, I know. I'm sorry. I've been busy. I'll be home soon."

"I'll be gone before you get back. But there's a surprise waiting for you!" She giggles and I roll my eyes. I should have known she wouldn't be home.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Wait! Don't you want to know what the surprise is?"

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I knew, now would it?"

"I guess you're right. I'll see you tomorrow morning. Bright and early!"

"Okay. Bye, Mom."

"Bye baby!"

I hang up the phone and shove it in my jacket pocket.

"Are you okay?" Ushijima asks me in a low voice.

"When it comes to my mom? Never." I admit. I mean it to come off teasingly but it just comes off sad. He squeezes my thigh "in comfort" but my cheeks flame red and I remember the other day. Our kiss.

A chill runs through me and I have to force myself not to move too much. I glance up at him, and he holds my gaze with his eyes. For a moment, he looks as soft as his lips felt and pushes a piece of my hair behind my ear. I almost lean in to kiss him but immediately his eyes shift back to his hard exterior.

"Just in case someone has a camera out." He says, a hint of a frown showing in his face.

"Good call," I reply a little awkwardly. I turn to face the front and I realize his hand is still gripping my thigh. I don't say anything though, I just fight the blush that he has so easily permanently glued to my face.

-

*Ushijima's POV*
I needed to tell Y/N that we could break up now. The month is just about up. We're not actually dating, but for some reason I can't bring myself to tell her. I want to keep pretending for just a little bit longer.

I don't know why I feel that way.

Y/N fidgets with her hands when Sara walks on the bus. She takes one glance at us and sits in the front, much to Tendou's dismay. I noticed they haven't been talking much, I guess they haven't made up yet.

The ride is slower than when we came. I'm glad for it because it keeps Y/N from sliding around everywhere. She's so weak, it's kind of adorable. She falls asleep halfway through the ride and leans on my shoulder. I stiffen at the contact but end up relaxing by her little body. I put my hand over her shoulder and let her lean into me more... for the cameras, I tell myself.

But there are no cameras around.