t w e l v e

how'd you get my number?

Few minutes of awkward silence until...

your friend, sara gave it to me
where are you

I blink at his message. My friend Sara? That's a first.

in the girls room. i'm in bed.

meet me outside

outside???
i said i'm in bed

i know
meet me outside

He has to be kidding. It's 9 at night.

i'm about to go to sleep though

meet me outside

Oh my gosh. I'm going to kill him. I groan and make my way all the way outside. The night air breeze pushes against me the second I walk out and I shiver.

"Over here," I hear Ushijima. I follow his voice to where he's sitting on a bench. He's dressed in his outfit that he goes for a run in.

"Okay, you got me out here. What is it?" I ask sitting next to him. I flinch away when my bare leg hits the cold bench. I wish I put on pants or atleast brought a jacket.

"We're going on a jog."

I laugh. "No way,"

"Don't look, but there's some reporters in that bush infront of us." He says dryly and I glance over. "I said not to look."

"Sorry,"

"We're going to pretend we don't know they're there." He says and he gets up in one quick move.

"Fine," I groan. I know what I got myself into. He stretches his arm out for me and when I take it he lifts me up so fast that I collide into him.

"Sorry, I forgot how fragile you are." Ushijima moves back and I shiver at the cold once more. He looks me up and down and swiftly takes his jacket off and put it around me. "Come on."

I try to thank him for the jacket but he's already jogging off, I reluctantly follow. I hate running so much. I'm not an athlete like Sara. My agility isn't as good as Ushijima's but somehow I keep up with him. Probably because he slows down, but I'd like to think it's because I'm just as fast as he is.

We run for about an hour. He takes all these twists and turns, I get scared that we won't be able to find our way back. After we take another left, I can't take it anymore. I stop and put my hand on my knees to breathe. Ushijima notices and turns around.

"Just give me a minute." I hold up my hand and sit on the ground. He bends down next to me and hands me a water bottle from his pocket.

"We can head back now, I'm sure they got what they wanted." He stands up and holds out a hand for me again. Like last time I take it, but this time he pulls me up softly and he lets us walk back instead of running.

Who knew Ushijima was a gentlemen?

He walks me all the way to the girls room and once we get there he nods. "Thank you." He looks stiff and I suppress a laugh.

"Was that hard for you to say?" I tease.

"No,"

I start to say something else but he walks away.

"You got to stop doing that!" I call after him. He doesn't turn around but I do get a text. I glance down at my phone. It's from him.

until tomorrow

I smile and walk into the girls room. I notice I still have Ushijima's jacket on. I take it off and place it next to my futon. Sara is sleeping soundly. Her freshly washed blonde hair tied back in a ponytail. I lay down and her eyes pop open, freaking me out.

"Geez, Sara!"

"Where have you been?" She hisses.

"With a boy." I say in a teasing voice that's similar to Oikawa's regular voice. She sits up and smiles down at me.

"Bokuto??"

"What? No. I was just messing with you. I was with Ushijima." I tell her and she looks satisfied with my answer and lays back down.

"Some of the girls and I are going to wake up early to get more practice in." She says. Her eyes flicker to meet mine.

"Sounds brutal." I laugh. An invite would've been nice. I mean, I'd decline it but still.

"Did you talk to your mom today?"

"A bit."

"Good. And your dad?" She watches my reaction to her words carefully, but I know better. I just shrug.

"He has his new family now. He doesn't need me."

"Y/N..."

"It's nothing, I'm tired."

She gives me a small smile. "Alright. Wake me if you need anything."

"I will."

"Goodnight,"

"Goodnight," I reply and turn to the door with my back facing her.