n i n e

The positivity lasted all of ten minutes when I almost spill my lunch on Ushijima. Thankfully, he catches the tray before it can do any real damage.

"Sorry," I squeak out and he stands up from his seat.

"We have to talk." He says looking down on me and handing me my tray.

My heart rate speeds up. "What about?"

"About your newfound fame." Tendou sings from his seat infront of Ushijima's. I glance over to where Sara is talking to our team and look back to Ushijima.

"I don't know anything about that." I put my tray on the table and take a seat. I might as well eat if I'm going to be stuck with them.

Ushijima sits next to me and leans on the table with folded arms, he takes up my space as well as his own.

"Sure you don't," Tendou says. "It's everywhere."

"It's just one article. I wouldn't say it's everywhere." I shrug and take a bite of my apple.

Ushijima pushes his phone towards me and I glance at it. "Scroll." He orders.

I hesitantly take his phone and scroll. The minute I take in all the pictures and captions I gasp. They range from talking about how they love us and how they hate us — mostly me. Of course, I wouldn't have seen this. I'm barely on my social media as it is. But theres no telling how many people have seen it.

"Let people talk." I shrug and hand him the phone back. "If you're so worried, just clear the air and tell the truth."

"I don't think you understand. Wakatoshi here is pretty famous-" Tendou begins with a smug look on his face.

"Not that famous." Ushijima interrupts.

"He's famous." Tendou corrects. "Anyway, he can't have this bad of media on him."

"I still don't understand what you're getting at." I furrow my eyebrows and take another bite.

"Wakatoshi will get a bad rep if he says the pictures are fake." Tendou explains with a sly smile. "You have to admit, the pictures do look pretty... naughty."

The tip of Ushijima's ears turn red and he looks down. "She's clumsy."

"I am not!"

He glances at me sideways but continues looking at Tendou.

"Don't worry," Tendou sets a hand on both of us from across the table. I immediately flinch away from his touch. "The idea guy has an idea."

I don't even want to hear his idea. It's probably something that's going to get me deeper into whatever this is.

"You guys fake date for a few weeks and then" — he gasps dramatically — "you break up suddenly because you decide you're better as friends."

I stare blankly at Tendou. One glance at Ushijima shows that he knew about this already. "You guys can't be serious." I suppress the urge to laugh.

"It's a good idea!" Tendou complains. "Wakatoshi has agreed too. Everyone leaves happy."

"Isn't this more trouble than whats it's worth?" I mean he can't actually expect me to go along with this crazy plan. I glance to Ushijima. He looks stiff as usual. "And Ushijima doesn't look too excited about the plan."

"Wakatoshi doesn't look excited about anything." Tendou says waving a dismissive hand.

"I don't know guys..." I glance between them.

"It's only for a few weeks. It's not like you have to make out with him or anything."

My cheeks heat up and I don't dare look to Ushijima.

"Fine," I squeak out.

"Really?" Tendou's mouth drops open.

"Yeah, whatever. Only for a few weeks though." I did get Ushijima in this mess. I should be the one to get him out.

"Wow, I didn't actually think it'd work." Tendou raises his eyebrows and I get up from the seat.

"Yeah, well, I sort of owe you." I look to Ushijima who stares back at me. "See ya,"

I walk off leaving my tray and it isn't until I'm sitting next to Sara that I realize that that was the first conversation I've had in forever that didn't involve her.

It's a whole new world here at training camp.