f o u r t e e n

The game goes on for a long time. So long that other people are now watching from the sidelines. Oikawa was quick to learn Bokuto and Tendou's techniques, as I suspected he would. There was a few times Ushijima and Akaashi would talk low to eachother, planning for what to do next. Kindaichi was useful but he got tired fast, we eventually let him get switched out with Matsukawa. The scores are at an even rate. When one scores, so does the other. It's at 30 to 31 right now.

"Nice one, Bokuto!" Oikawa calls once Bokuto does one of his cross court shots making it 31 to 31.

The game goes on for another hour until Bokuto starts throwing a fit because he's losing. Akaashi sighs and messes up a couple serves. Bokuto, Oikawa, and Tendou ended up winning 44 to 42. Akaashi said it was an accident but I'm not blind. Bokuto will forever be his teammate even when he's not.

"What did I say?!" Bokuto laughs. "I am the greatest player of all time!"

"Yes, you are." Akaashi pats his back, a small smile forming on his lips. If only Sara and I had a friendship like that. Willing to give something we love up for one another. I wonder if she'd ever give up this game for me... I wonder if anyone would give up this game for me.

Probably not.

Most people have left, satisfied or not with the outcome. The others talk about the game with eachother. The coaches are in the corner talking about the skills of their kids. Oikawa's talking to Ushijima — rubbing in his face that he won. Ushijima isn't taking it very well. Matsukawa is telling Kindaichi that he did good up until the end. Tendou is beaming on Bokuto's back and Akaashi is with them, but of course he's trying to calm them down. I decide to leave the boys to all their excitedness. I walk out of the gym and down the sidewalk.

"Y/N!"

I spin around and see Bokuto waving to me. He runs up to me and almost knocks me down in an embrace.

"Thank you!"

I step back from his sweaty and muscular embrace. "What do you mean? For what?"

"I couldn't have won without you,"

I want to tell him that it was just a practice match. The scores don't even matter, but he's so happy I can't burst that bubble of his. Volleyball players are a different breed. Instead I settle on, "I'm proud of you."

Bokuto's face turns red and he embraces me in another hug. Only this one is different from his usual ones. This isn't forced and random, it's controlled and gentle. I wrap my arms around his waist and he tightens his grip.

"I should, uh," He lets go and rubs the back of his neck. His face is still red but his playful smile is back. "Ushijima would kill me if he saw this, huh?"

"Why?"

"Because he's your boyfriend."

"Oh, right." I nod my head quickly.

"Did you forget?"

"No, of course not." But he knows it's a lie. He puts his hand over me.

"Let's just say, if we were together. You'd never forget." He gives me a playful nose scrunch and I roll my eyes and nudge him away.

"I'll keep that in mind."

And I will.