t w e n t y t h r e e

I find Tendou quickly in the gym, but surprisingly Ushijima isn't there. Tendou eventually spots me, but he looks right through me as most people do.

"Sato's not with you?" He asks and I roll my eyes. Even when Sara and I aren't friends, she still manages to get people to look right through me.

"Ushijima not with you?" I spit back and he smiles wickedly at me.

"Touché. You just missed him. We had a bit of an accident with a water bottle." He scratches the back of his head and looks guilty. There's no denying that he was the accident with the water bottle. "Wakatoshi's changing in the guys room. If you run maybe you can catch him before he changes."

I twirl around and walk out of there before Tendou mentions Sara even more.

The walk is quick to the room and I find myself storming in before I think to knock. It's the middle of the day, nobody should be in here aside from Ushijima. But I'm definitely shocked to see what I find myself looking at.

I don't know what I expected Ushijima to look like without a shirt on. He definitely feels like a brick wall, why shouldn't he look like one too? My cheeks flame up at his exposed back and I almost stumble into the wall.

He turns around showing off his perfectly toned chest. I feel my face flush more if that's even possible.

"What are you doing here?" He asks a little startled.

"I-" I clear my throat when it comes out hoarsely. "I needed to speak to you. Tendou said you'd be in here."

"Speak to me about what?"

Now that I'm here... I debate whether or not I want to say anything. Ushijima either watches me or stares at something in my general area. I don't check, I can't help but feel flustered everytime I look at him.

"Just things," I finally answer after what feels like forever but can't be more than a minute. I start feeling really anxious. "Do you mind if I sit?"

I don't wait for him to answer, I take a seat on the futon that he's standing infront of. I notice Oikawa's stuff across and smirk to myself. He must hate that.

Ushijima sits infront of me, his back against the wall. "Did Tendou do something?"

"No," I shrug. Tendou has done nothing other than be a weirdo when it comes to Sara. But that's not my problem anymore. "I'm just having this... issue. And you don't really talk back... I mean usually you leave."

His mouth twitches into an almost smile, but I quickly look down. "I told you I wasn't going to do that anymore."

I nod. "Yeah, well, that's my point. You listen to me."

"You need me to listen then?"

"Yes please," I finally look up to him and bite my cheek. "Can you, uh, put a shirt on."

He glances down and his ears blush the way they always do and he throws a hurried shirt on. I don't miss the way his arms flex when trying to get the shirt on himself. Or the way his nicely set abs move. Or the way his hair is all wrinkled afterward.

But with a shirt on, Ushijima is a lot easier to talk to. I take a deep breathe and begin telling him my problems. I only mean to talk about Sara and how hurt I am... but the conversation takes a turn to my mother... and slowly my father.

He sits there emotionless at everything I say. It's like talking to a wall or a diary. It's perfect. I don't have him looking at me like I need protecting. Sara did that. She would baby me. I see it now. The whispered conversations she'd have with other people to not make me upset. She walked on eggshells around me, treating me as if I'm going to break any moment.

"So, um, thanks for listening." I nudge his knee with my own. Somewhere in the middle of the conversation, I moved to his side. The contact almost feels like fire.

He only nods in response.

For a second, I let myself be in his presence before I have to go back to reality.

"Hey," I start and his eyes find mine. "I'm really glad I fell on you that day in the hall... and again on the bus. You're kind of cool. I'm glad I'm your fake girlfriend."

"You're not so bad." Is all he says. I smile at his mini joke.

His lips twitch again and I nudge him. "Would it kill you to smile?" Despite wanting to stay here forever, I start to get up from the futon. "Well, I should be getting back. They're probably wondering where I am."

I laugh out loud at my own words.

"Nevermind, they're probably wondering where you are. I'm quite literally indispensable."

"No, you're not." I glance down at him and blink.

"You've done your job at making me feel better. I'm okay now."

"I'm not trying to make you feel better. I'm being serious." He shrugs. I stare at him. Seriously? I want to argue with him but nothing comes out. His eyes bore into mine and I'm brought back to last night, when we kissed. His soft, beautiful lips on mine. I glance down at his lips and of course, they are as perfect as ever.

Without thinking I drop down to my knees and pull him into me by his shirt. Our lips collide and he hesitates for a moment, probably taken by surprise and I wonder if I'm actually kissing a brick wall instead of him.

Just as I'm about to pull away he responds to the kiss with every part of him. His mouth opens, letting our tongues play a little intoxicating game. His left hand pulls me closer, making my legs go on either side of his. He makes a little groan at the back of his throat at the contact and I suppress the urge to smile.

The kiss deepens, especially when he lifts me up and puts me on my back in one swift motion. I almost jump at how quick it was. Sometimes I forget the raw strength of these volleyball boys.

Ushijima lays his body on top of mine, careful not to put too much weight on me. But I don't care. I keep pulling him down. I want — need — his entire body pressed against me. Every inch and muscle of this gorgeous wall.

He tastes so good.

My hands move under his shirt and it's rock hard as I expected it to be. I shudder at just the thought of touching the Ushiwaka. He's breathtaking and mesmerizing to say the least.

"Woah," The sound of Tendou's voice startles us and Ushijima leaps off me. I look up to see Tendou smiling devilishy, behind him Sara stares mouth agape. Ushijima and I scramble to our feet.

"Tamura's called a team meeting." Sara says. Her voice hard and awkward. "Whenever you're done here, you can join."

I nod and wait for her to leave. Only she doesn't. "Are you going to stand there or give me a minute?"

Sara turns and walks out, Tendou following behind. It looks so stupid. I hope nobody ever follows me like that. I don't need a bodyguard and neither does she.

"Sorry, I got carried away." Ushijima says when the two leave the room.

"Me too." I reply a little breathlessly. His taste is still very much in my mouth. I wish I could keep it there forever.

"We should-" He looks towards the door and I nod.

I make my way out and Ushijima follows. Okay, maybe it isn't that stupid when Ushijima does it. He looks especially hot trailing behind me like he's ready to kill anyone who touches me. Even though I know, better than most, just how soft he can be. Especially those lips of his.

I watch Ushijima and Tendou walk the opposite way of Sara and I until Sara brings my attention back to her by letting out a snort.

"For a girl who just had her first kiss last week, you sure do get a lot of action from different guys."

I blink at her. "I didn't say you could speak to me."

"I didn't know I had to ask permission, Your Highness."

"Yeah, well, now you do."

She rolls her eyes. "Get over yourself. Seriously."

I decide not to answer her and focus on Ushijima and his lovely, lovely lips.