t h r e e

"Oikawa," I sigh turning to face him and his umbrella. He's leaning against his fence like he does everytime I get home. "Why do you have that?"

He gives me a look as if I'm the weird one in this situation. "It's raining."

I look around. "No, it's not."

"It will be." He shrugs showing me his phone. "That's what the weather says."

I fold my arms at my annoying neighbor. "Did you want something or did you just want to bother me?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to help me practice. Bothering you is just a fun bonus." He winks and I roll my eyes.

"Why don't you ask Sara?"

"Iwa-chan banned me from seeing her." He makes a pouty face. Sara and Iwaiziumi have never gotten along. Iwa says that Sara is just like every other famous player — a show off and a media sucker. I have tried to point out that his best friend is literally a media sucker show off, but he doesn't listen. Sara says that Iwaiziumi is just bitter. I agree with her.

"Who cares what he says. She's good."

"Says you. He'll hit me with a ball again." He folds his arms. "Come on, Y/N-chan. Please."

"No way, it's almost eleven." I shake my head. "My mom doesn't like me being late."

He glances over to my house and so do I. The lights are off. My mom's not home. She never is. I push down the anger I feel and tell myself I won't be like Iwaiziumi. I won't be bitter.

"Looks like she's not home."

"Well I still can't."

He sighs in exasperation. "And why is that?"

"You said it yourself. It's raining." I shrug and start walking away.

"Raincheck then?" He calls after me. "Do you get the joke? Rain-check?" He laughs at his own pun and I roll my eyes.

"Everyone's a comedian." I mutter opening my door. I quickly switch my shoes and walk to the kitchen. I grab a piece of bread and head to my room.

After doing my homework, having a nice long shower, and doing a few chores, I settle into bed and pull out my phone. I have a few missed texts. My mom, Sara, and Oikawa. My mom just tells me that she's out with a few friends from work and she'll be home soon. I know she really means that she'll be out all night. Sara tells me to call her as soon as possible. I decide to call her in a minute and focus on Oikawa's text.

You never answered my question :(

I type back quickly.

sorry
i was hoping if i didn't answer
i wouldn't have to do it

That's not nice
How's tomorrow morning sound?

i have something called school

You should switch to Aoba Johsai

eh, shiratorizawa is better
i would tell you to switch
but then i'd have to actually see you

I've heard that I should've gone there
But I'll pretend I didn't read that

you know you're annoying

You love me anyway

now THAT was a funny joke
goodnight oikawa

Goodnight Y/N :)

I roll my eyes and go to call Sara. She answers on the first ring.

"I was just about to come over!" She squeaks out. "Where have you been?"

"Huh?"

"I told you to call me as soon as possible!"

"And I did call you as soon as possible." I mock her voice for the last part and I hear her huff on the phone.

"Listen! Tendou's weird little crush on me finally paid off!" I can hear her jumping through the phone.

"What are you talking about?"

"Y/N! They invited us to training camp!"

I scoff. "You do realize Tendou doesn't have control over that. It's just for guys."

"No, it's a new thing they're doing. Tendou convinced them to allow girls team to come."

"Who's going to this training camp anyway?"

"I think he said Shiratorizawa, Fukurōdani, those clipped crows from Karasuno, That red and black team um..." She trails off thinking hard.

"Nekoma?" I ask.

"Nekoma! Yeah! And also..." She huffs out a breath and mumbles something.

"What'd you say?"

"Aoba Johsai." She answers louder but her voice has a twist in it. "I know, Iwaiziumi is going to be there."

"And Oikawa." I roll my eyes. "I don't think I want to go."

"Okay, but there's so many teams! I bet we won't even see them." It's just like her to be positive and see the bright side to things. That jealousy tries to come up, but again I push it down. The same way I always do.

"Even if Oikawa wasn't there. I don't think that's be a good idea. I mean a bunch of girls? Can you imagine the drama?" I'm only met with silence from the other end so I clear my throat. "You know what? We'll talk more tomorrow. I'm beat from today."

"Me too! My feet are going to fall off and my arms currently have ice packs on them." She laughs and I glance down to my arms and feet. My perfectly fine arms and my able feet. I sigh internally. Her bruises and aches show that she worked. What's there to show for me?

The shadow in the back of the star.

I fake a laugh. "Feel better, call me if you need anything."

"Thanks, goodnight!"

"Night," I hang up and toss my phone on the counter.

I made up my mind. We are not going to that camp. I can't shake the feeling that nothing good will come out of it.