o n e

No, no, no! I can't be late again! Mr.Nakamura is going to have my head on a stick if I step foot in his class a minute after the bell.

I whirl through the halls, dodging everybody in my way. My hand vibrates and I look at the message forming from my phone.

where are you??? nakamura is muttering about marking you late

I groan and type back quickly...

stall him, i'm coming!!

I shove my phone in my pocket but just as I'm about to look up, I hit a brick wall.

"Geez," I rub my forehead and wince.

"Are you okay?" I hear the brick wall say. Only when I look up it's not a brick wall and I gasp.

Wakatoshi Ushijima.

"I-I'm okay." I lie. My head is throbbing. What in the world does this guy do to be this built? Sara plays volleyball and she's not at all this bulky. "Are you?"

I feel stupid even asking, of course this guy is fine. Of course he doesn't feel a thing. But instead of laughing at my question, he nods once. "Watch where you're walking next time."

I blink at him, unable to say anything else. Did he mean that in a rude way? Before I can gather myself, he walks off. The bell is what takes me out of my trance.

No!

I dart the rest of the way to class and slowly slip into my seat. Nakamura is writing on the board and has his back to the class. Sara sighs and pushes a piece of her long blond hair behind her ear when I sit down quietly.

"You were almost late!" She hisses in a hushed voice.

"I know, I bumped into someone." I reply, she starts asking more but I just shake my head. There's no way I'm going to relive that awkward moment with the Ushiwaka. Sara would never let me live it down.

"L/N Y/N, I'm so glad you could join us." I hear Nakamura say. He turns around and glares at me. I'm toast.

"I'm so sorry! I slept through my alarm and everything! I even bumped into a few students on the way! Please don't give me detention! My mom will kill me! I'll do anything! I'll even-" He cuts my ranting off with a hand and okay maybe I did exaggerate a tad. I bumped into one student, but that one student has the body of five so it's basically the same thing.

"This is your final warning. Make five alarms if you have too. I want you in my class on time. Do you understand?"

"Yes sir." I nod quickly. He just sighs and continues writing on the board. Sara laughs beside me at the dramatic plea I gave. I only hope Nakamura doesn't decide to have a bonding experience with the teachers and tell Coach Tamura all about my reluctance to show up.

~

The rest of the day goes by smoothly now that I made it out of Nakamura's wrath. Nothing could bring me down now that I don't have detention. After school, I walk with Sara to the gym for volleyball practice. I don't actually play. I'm just the manager. Sara convinced me my first year and three years later here I am.

When we make it to the gym, three guys are whispering and nudging eachother. First years. I glance to Sara, but she just shrugs.

"Thats her! That's Sara Sato!" One of the guys say. I roll my eyes already knowing where this is going to go.

"Sara! Can I, uh, get your autograph!" The second guy says.

"We came to the school just for you!" The third one adds. He clears his throat to look taller than he actually is. Poor guy.

"Of course!" Sara plasters on a million watt smile. She signs each of the guys papers and I swear I see one of them smell it. "I'm glad you came here. Shiratorizawa is an amazing school."

"Can we become manager of the girls volleyball team?!" The second guy asks and I blink at him. Can he not see me standing here?

"Maybe next year, this year we have a manager and she's perfect!" Sara tries to nudge me forward but I stand my ground. No way am I going to be humiliated.

"You won't be here next year!" The first guy complains.

"Who's the manager?" The third guy asks and Sara manages to push me forward.

"L/N Y/N is of course. She's been with us for three years!"

"I don't know her." The third guy whispers to the second but I can clearly hear him.

"I thought she was just a girl who liked to follow Sara  Sato around wherever she went." He whispers back. "She's not that...managery looking."

"Sorry to disappoint." I shrug and walk away before I can hear any more insults. Sara lets me leave, but I'll probably hear it from her later. She hates when I leave her with fans.

Being in Sara's shadow isn't a terrible thing. I love that I have my own life. I definitely wouldn't trade with her, but sometimes I wish I wasn't known as "Sara's follower". Because if we're gonna play that game I'd say that Sara used to follow me around up until middle school when she became this big shot athlete. She isn't as well known as Ushiwaka, but I suppose no one really is. Anyway, as much as I complain... I like my life. I don't want anything to change.

When Sara walks in, she gives me a sad smile. She thinks it affects me whenever her fans bad mouth me, and maybe it does. But I don't let her know that. I like to play things off for her sake. She feels incredibly guilty for everything. I don't want her to feel that way though. It's not her fault she excels at volleyball and I, well, suck.

Coach Tamura isn't here — he took a personal day, for what? I don't know. I end up spending the entire practice on the sidelines keeping score and handing out towels and water bottles. It's a regular afternoon practice... up until the door breaks open.

Satori Tendou steps in with a wide smile.

"Ladies!" He holds out a peace sign. "I'm here for the lovely Sara Sato."

Sara rolls her eyes already annoyed at Tendou's little crush on her. "What do you want, Tendou?" She calls from across the gym.

"Why don't you come here and I'll tell you." He exaggerates the "you" and Sara drags herself over to him. Out of habit, I follow her.

Maybe I am a follower.

"Tendou," Sara acknowledges once we reach him.

"The guys and I were talking and we thought it would be some good practice if we could practice together. Just for today, of course." Tendou raises his eyebrows waiting for her answer. She looks to me and I shake my head once.

"I don't know Ten," She shrugs and he beams at the nickname. Sara has a way of flattering people without even realizing. "Who came up with the idea?"

"Me, of course!" He jumps. "I'm the idea guy."

"Isn't Ushijima the idea guy?" Sara laughs and I feel awkward just thinking about Ushijima.

Tendou waves his hand dismissing her question. "So, are you guys in?"

"I don't think so," She shakes her head.

"Please, Sato!!" Tendou pouts and Sara looks to me as if to say 'what do I do?'. I groan and Tendou perks up. "You guys aren't afraid of a little challenge, are you?" He teases.

I roll my eyes. "Fine. Only one game. That's it."

Tendou turns around. "They're in!"

Suddenly, about fourteen guys stumble into view. Ushiwaka leading them.

Oh great.