Matryoshka

"You're a liar." The man below us says, and I watch with wary eyes as Ryker crosses his arms over his chest. 

After finding Gaia at the drop ship, we go back to Sanctum only to find out that everyone has locked themselves into the palace-our people securely locked away inside. Madi followed through with her words-killing one prime, and attempting to kill the rest before she was caught. 

I pray to god that Roan hasn't been found out yet, that somehow Josephine didn't reveal what he is, but a part of me knows that's not the case. 

"Believe me, I wish I was, but your daughter's not one with the primes. No one is." Delilah's parents are sobbing below us as Ryker tells them the truth, their eyes glistening with tears. 

Echo and Gaia sit crouched beside me, watching the whole exchange. Ryker has proved to be useful in more ways than one, but the fact that he himself is a Prime tells me that he won't be able to do what needs to be done. 

But he's keeping us safe from getting caught, and for right now, I'll take it as a small mercy. There's another man beside Dalilah's parents, and his face scrunches in pain and anger. 

He lets out a loud shout, throwing something at a nearby wall in anger before facing Ryker. "I sacrificed my baby boy...for nothing! My wife couldn't live with that. She laid down in the offering grove a year later, and I still believed. I believed." His cries fill the air as he collapses into Ryker's arms, and Ryker holds the man steady before looking up at us. 

"Ok." Gaia whispers beside me, "The ship is back, the fuse is lit. Now how do we get our people out?" Echo smiles gently, looking back towards the weeping families. 

"Relax. Revolutions take time." Echo rationalizes, and I clench my jaw tightly.

"Every moment that we're here, is another moment that our people are in danger. Roan is in there Echo. And so is Madi. What if they make them Primes? They had reservations before, but now that we killed one of their own?" Echo's face tightens, and she looks away from me. 

I know that Gaia agrees with me, and we both look towards the spy as we wait for her to answer. "Hopefully the nulls and the Prime's guards will overthrow their gods. If not, we'll need a plan B." Echo says finally, and I open my mouth to say something else when I hear a knock at the front door.

Gaia instantly moves back from the landing, and I raise my hands, grabbing my dual blades from my back with ease. I relish in the feeling of the familiar weight in my hands, and Echo eyes me carefully, making a move to grab the bow that Ryker had fashioned for her in the shop. 

"Everybody get in position." Ryker orders, and I move back, prepared to bounce down from the balcony if something goes wrong. 

The others in the room move to the side, pretending to be working as Ryker slowly approaches the door. I'm completely silent as Ryker talks quietly to whoever is behind the door, and I grim look passes over his face before he closes it once more, turning to face the people inside. 

"Go directly back to your quarters. If you get stopped, you show them my work orders." Ryker orders, and the angered man from earlier creases his brow in confusion. 

"Wait. What do we do with what you told us?" He questions, his eyes still brimmed with tears. I slowly put my blades back in their sheath, Gaia standing up beside me as the group prepares to leave. 

"Nothing yet. Once enough people know the truth,  we can change things, peacefully." I can tell that the group don't agree with the words in the slightest. Their children were killed, and he just suggested that they do nothing about it.