Earth Kills

Another one of Jasper's screams pierces the air, and I flinch at the sound. I watch as Clarke hovers over him, a watch in her hands as she tries to get his pulse. 

"Shut that kid up!" Someone yells in the drop ship, and I stand up abruptly from my corner of the dropship, looking around for the source of the shout. 

"Why don't I go over there and shut you up?!" I snap back and the drop ship descends once again in silence. Jasper lets out a small moan, and my heart breaks as I walk over to him, leaning forward to brush my hand against his face. 

"Don't listen to them. You're gonna make it through this ok? Promise." My voice breaks halfway through the sentence, and Clarke gives me a sympathetic look as Jasper convulses yet again, letting out a loud moan. 

"Can this kid die already?" my head snaps in the direction of the voice, and I begin to walk towards them when Monty grabs my arm, shaking his head. 

"They're not worth it. Just let it go." he sighs and I clench my fists before turning around and stalking out of the drop ship. I breath in the cool night air, and look around the dead camp.

I spot some people over by the fire, and I see some walking around aimlessly, but no one else seems to be awake. Not that I blame them. I begin to walk towards the edge of the woods, when a distressed scream causes me to sprint in the direction of the noise. I pull out my gun halfway there, but when I reach the place where the scream came from, I only see a distressed girl, her small form huddled on the ground as she thrashes with her arms. 

"Please, no, NO!" she calls out and I crouch down next to her, shaking her awake. She jolts up, sweat dripping down her face, and her chocolate brown eyes wide and scared. 

"Hey, are you ok?" I ask her softly. She doesn't say anything, and I decide to crouch down next to her, "Was it a dream?"  I ask curiously and she nods her head. I give her a long look, and I feel like cursing everyone on the Ark.

The girl has long messy braids hanging loose at her side, and her small, petite figure can't make her any older than 12 or 13. Why the hell did they think it was a good idea to send a little kid to the fucking ground? What kind of logic was that?

"What's your name?" I ask, trying to keep my anger at the Ark out of my voice as I look down at her. She hesitates before answering, her body still shaking from the dream. 

"Charlotte." she says in a small voice, looking anywhere but at me. 

"I'm Kat." I introduce and she looks down at the ground in front of her, clearly still distressed from her dream. "Hey," I look down at her, and put my fingers gently under her chin, causing her to look at me, "Being afraid is normal. I'm afraid all the time.... Do you want to talk about it?"

"It... my parents. They were floated and they.... I see it in my dreams and I just-" she begins to cry, and I put an arm around her, letting my hand trail soothing circles along her back. 

"I get it... My mom was floated too. I couldn't sleep either. But you know what I did?" her eyes meet mine and she shakes her head, her braids whipping around her face. 

"I thought of the happiest memory I had of her right before I went to sleep, and instead of dreaming about my saddest memory, I dreamt of my happiest." I reveal and she gives me a smile. 

"Are you really scared all the time?" She asks and I laugh. 

"Damn straight." I answer and this time its her turn to let out a small laugh. I stand up and offer her my hand. Her tiny hand wraps around my calloused fingers, and I lift her to her feet, letting her shake off the dirt and twigs stuck to her clothes.