Memento Mori

"Don't stop fighting. You stop-you die." Emersyn hums, her own blades swinging in the air as she looks at me hunched over on the ground. 

I grind my teeth tightly, my ribs sore and bruised as I slowly get back to my feet. "I can't do this-Why fight with blades when I can just use a gun? Or my fists?" I ask, dropping my swords to the ground.

Em sighs, shaking her head. "You've walked with death before Kat, and I'm guessing that you always will. Using a blade to kill an enemy requires you to think about the kill-to envision it and see it. A gun allows for separability. You should always carry their deaths with you-always kill with honor. When you run a sword through an enemies throat, you will see their last breath leave their lips, and you will you always remember it. You're the one who carries their memory. It's a burden we warriors must share." 

*****************************

"That's not fair. You fought dirty." Roan complains, groaning on the ground. I grin offering him a hand to help him to his feet. 

"When you're up against someone who wants to kill you, they'll fight dirty too." I tell him, and he grimaces, looking around. 

I took him to the ship as soon as the morning sun rose-Bellamy must have been out all night with Clarke or Murphy considering his side of the bed was cold when I woke up. Roan sighs, grabbing the sword I found in the ship as he rolls his neck. 

"Again." He says simply, and I smile in response, twirling my blade dangerously. Considering it would be unfair if I used both of my blades, I keep one of them on my back. Roan's blue eyes watch me carefully as we walk in a slow circle, each of us mirroring the other's moves. 

I let him move first-his body moving with speed and agility as he darts forward. I quickly block his sword, using his own power against him to push him back, sending him stumbling a few paces back. I dart forward quickly, his sword blocking my own before I kick out with my feet, sweeping his legs out from underneath him. 

He lands on the ground with a loud thud, and I kick away his sword before aiming my own at his throat. "And now you're dead." I smile sweetly, and he sighs, reaching up to swat away my sword. 

Smirking, I raise my hands in surrender, stepping back in order to let him climb up to his feet. "Your first mistake was thinking you could beat Kat." I whirl around at the sound of Echo entering the clearing, an amused gleam in her eyes as she looks at the two of us. 

I laugh, placing my sword back in it's sheathe. "He's getting better." I muse, looking over my shoulder as Roan dusts off his shirt. "What are you doing out here? Is everything ok?" I ask, and I watch as Echo's face falls, her eyes shifting around the trees around us. 

She keeps quiet, and I look behind her, my eyes trailing the trees. I freeze when I see a figure moving in the trees. My eyes flit back to Echo, and I motion with my head for her to follow me into the ship. 

Roan watches us enter the ship before following after us, his hand tightening around his sword as we walk into the ship. 

I lead us to the back of the ship-where we won't be heard before turning to face Echo, crossing my arms over my chest. "What is it?" I demand, and she purses her lips tightly. 

"It's Bellamy. Clarke said he left this morning to go scout but-"

"Scout? But we've already found a spot for our encampment. And he didn't come back last night..." My mind trails off, a million different scenarios running through my mind before I look at Roan. "Go back to town-stay with Gaia. And don't go off by yourself-not until I figure out what the hell happened." I order, and he opens his mouth to argue before shutting it, noticing the stern look on my face.