Pilot

Death is a dream when all you have to live for is a cold bowl of soup and stale bread everyday. When everyday is the same old bullshit.

I haven't seen another human being in two months. My body craves the most simplest of human interactions, and  I'm waiting for the day when a guard will grow a pair and enter my cell. They are always interested in me. I used to hear them talk about me, before I got completely closed off from society, before they put me in my own personal steel death box.

I lay quietly on my bed, already having gotten done with my daily workout I do to keep my mind off things.

I'm laying on my bed when the door opens, and in the blink of an eye, I am on my feet. I stand in a defensive position, ready for whatever happens to come through that steel door.

Surprisingly, instead of seeing a guard, a familiar brown-eyed man walks in. The door is closed quickly behind him, locking us both in.

"Trina." he greets, and I nod my head.

"Kane." I let out, my voice sounding scratchy and awkward in my own ears. I relax and slouch against the nearest wall, and he walks over in front of me.  I look him over.

 Not much has changed in the long months since I have last seen him- his hair is a little longer, and he is beginning to grow  a  beard, but his chocolate brown eyes are still the same.

"Have you finally been caught?" I speculate, not bothering with any formalities, and he gives me a long look.

"No. And by the time I am, it will be too late." he informs me and I cock my head,

"What do you mean?" I ask him, and he gives me a hopeful look.

"They're sending inmates to the ground. 100 of them.  I manually put you in the system, and if we leave now, we can get you on the dropship before they notice your on there." he tells me and I straighten. The ground? As in Earth? It hasn't been survivable for 97 years, what the fuck is he talking about?

97 years ago, a nuclear apocalypse killed everyone on Earth, and devastated the planet itself. It has been simmering in radiation for nearly a century, and it could be god knows how long before it is livable again. The only survivors were on the Ark, and it is now the place I call home. I would kill to taste fresh air on my lips but I don't want to kill myself in order to get it.

 "What in the world are you talking about?" I demand, taking a step towards him, "I don't have a death wish, I would rather rot in here then die down there." I state, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"Murphy will be down there." he states and I feel my heart stop cold. Me and Murphy have been through hell together. I met him when I was barely a kid, and he quickly became the little brother I never got to have. We were-are- as thick as thieves, the two of us getting in and out of trouble too many times to count. I'd do anything for him, and I know he'd do the same for me. 

"Why the hell didn't you start with that Marcus? What do I have to do in order to get to him?" I demand and he gives me a satisfied smile, knowing that  using Murphy was the one way to make me cooperate. 

"We have to put a bracelet on you, it will send your vitals to us while you're on the ground, and then a guard will lead you to the ship. From there, it's all on you." he explains and I purse my lips.

This 'trip' already sounded like a death wish, but sending me there unarmed? "You want me to go down there with zero protection, to an unknown place filled with unknown dangers? Are you trying to get me and everyone else killed as fast as possible?" I reason with him and he sighs.

"There's a gun in my side holster. But you have to promise that you will only use it on earth, and only for protection." he orders and I give him a large smirk.