The Children Of Gabriel

My eyes scan the quickly filling square, flitting back and forth between the people and back to Murphy-who is getting worse by the second. I find myself huddling next to Bellamy-preparing for the worst.

As more and more people enter the town, my whole body tenses, waiting for a fight. "Uh, guys..." Clarke murmurs, her eyes widening as the kids are replaced with adults-some of them bearing weapons, and all of them looking like they know how to use them.

"Remember-we're in their home. Everyone keep calm." Bellamy reassures, walking in front of me towards the front of the group.

I tense, my hands tightening on the hilt of my sword, which Clarke notices. "Weapons down." She reminds me, and I purse my lips before slowly placing my blades on the ground-everyone else following my suit.

"Abby, stay with Murphy." Bellamy orders, and the doctor nods her head, her hands covering Murphy protectively as she tries to bring him back from the brink of death.

The black lines on his chest only seem to be getting darker as they creep through his veins, leaving the rest of his body cold and pale.

"Rose! Get away from them! Protect the Hope." Someone from the crowd orders, and instantly, all those people with guns and spears run forward, the girl in front of us looking on in wide eyes.

Clarke instantly puts her hands up into the air, showing she's unarmed. "It's ok! We're from Earth, we come in peace."

Her words are ignored as the children are ushered behind the guards, exclamations and loud gasps filling the air as people frantically move to protect their young.

I watch as a women waltzes forward towards the girl we had previously cuffed, my eyes trained on the duo as I listen to their conversation. "Kaylee, where have you been? Where's your family?"

Kaylee-our somewhat prisoner-gives us all one look of disdain, her eyes shining with unshed tears. "They killed them." She declares, and I take a step back.

The whole square seems to fall into a hushed silence at the revelation, and I tense-waiting for someone to make the next move. "That's not good." Jordan sighs from behind me, and I am inclined to agree.

One look at Raven tells me that the women doesn't lie, and I want to curse them all to oblivion. Clarke tenses beside me, her eyes darting between Kaylee and Raven before opening her mouth to speak.

The sharp sound of Murphy gasping for breath breaks the silence, and I whirl around to see him arching his back into the air, trying desperately to breathe. "No." I whisper, and waste no time before rushing forward and crouching beside him, helping Abby keep him steady.

"No, not now, not now." Abby exclaims, and I wince as he begins to shake in my arms. "Easy, easy." She says, holding his head up at an angle to help him get air into his lungs.

He continues to wheeze as Clarke looks desperately at the crowd in front of us. "Help us, please. Our friend's dying." She pleads, and as soon as the words leave her mouth, Murphy collapses to the ground-still.

Clarke stops her pleading and drops down next to us, her fingers going to his neck. "He's not breathing." She says anxiously, and my heart drops into my chest.

"No, no, no. You do not get to do this to me now Murphy. Open your eyes-damnit open your eyes!" My hands are shaking as Abby starts compressions on his chest, and the word begins to fade away with each passing second.

If I killed him.... If I'm the reason he's dead I-

I can't let the thought finish, knowing that thinking about it would be the end for me.